• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D610 Problem w/Cutting

sxl95

My father and I use a SummaSign D610 Pro cutter for light to moderate cutting tasks, and for the last couple of years have experienced an issue with the cuts.

Trying to plot today, I noticed that there appears to be a lag between the beginning of the cut, and when the blade actually drops down onto the platen. This results in a gap in the cut that needs to be fixed by hand.

While I used to be a Certified Technician for Roland print and cut devices, I do not have much experience with cut only machines, specifically Summa. Without technical manuals for this type of device, I am lost.

I am thinking the problem may be a faulty solenoid, but do not know how to fix it or where to go to find out how. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Summa Technical Support

Hello Sam,

Here is the number for Summa Technical Support - (800) 323-9766. They should be able to help diagnose the problems you are experiencing.

Also, here is the link to the user manual for your device as well -
http://www.summausa.com/support/documents.php

Hopefully this information will help out!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.
(800) 527-7778, ext 112
philj@summa.us

Terremoto

I have one of those antiques and it was doing the exact same thing. I lubed the plunger that drops and lifts the blade and now it's working fine.

What do you use to drive yours? I've got an old box running Win98 and CorelDraw 9 and CoCut because any of the newer cutting software doesn't support the old Summa.

Dan

sxl95

Thanks for the responses. Since I no longer work in the industry, aside from helping my father with his very small sign business (he is basically retired, and does odd jobs), I can't really afford to purchase a modern machine for the little work my dad still does.

Good to know Summa is still willing to support antiques.

My dad still uses Freehand for design (I am pushing him to start using Illustrator since Freehand is dead and no longer supported. We use an old computer I got cheap from a defunct subprime lender to drive the plotter with an old package from Signlab.

The Summa is quite old, but works well for our needs.

Dan, what type of lube did you use?

SAS

Hello Sam,

Here is the number for Summa Technical Support - (800) 323-9766. They should be able to help diagnose the problems you are experiencing.

Also, here is the link to the user manual for your device as well -
http://www.summausa.com/support/documents.php

Hopefully this information will help out!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.
(800) 527-7778, ext 112
philj@summa.us

This is why I think Summa is the greatest company that supplies cutters/plotters to the sign industry. They are a great company to work with, I have only called there technical support line a couple of times in the last five years. That was for software problems and not the cutter.