Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Summa Dc4sx Printhead Bad?

Discussion in 'Summa' started by AirportSigns, Feb 10, 2017.

1. AirportSigns

AirportSigns New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Wondering if anyone has been able to bring a Summa DC4 printhead back to life after a "blown pixel" diagnosis.

I have a DC4sx we just brought in from our warehouse that hasn't been operating for several years I'd like to get back in our shop workflow. Done all the particulars to clean, calibrate, test print this baby and I have a white line about an inch up on the print pass the full width of the print.

When chatting with Summa online, they said it was a blown pixel in the printhead and I would have to replace the head.

Suggestions or work around would be much appreciated.

2. jessica pappalardo

jessica pappalardo Onyx tech needed!!

Dec 18, 2017
    corona ca
    Did you ever get your machine fixed? I bought a new Summa DC5 6 months ago - It has been nothing but problems ever sense. Waste of 25k. I was sold a damaged printer and mislead by them at the tradeshow.

3. Brian Bridge Signs

Brian Bridge Signs New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Ireland
    Hi
    I have the same problem on a Summa DC5 that has very little work done
    Did you have to replace the head or was there a way to fix it
    Regards
    Brian

4. Robert Gruner

Robert Gruner Member

Mar 6, 2012
    houston tx
    I am a bit curious why the wide format thermal resin printer is still called a "Summa" DC5? Summa quit manufacturing and selling the printer when Airmark was bought out several years ago. For North America, all consumables (ribbons), parts and service are handled by Airmark in Seattle. The DC thermal resin printers output high quality graphics when operating at peak performance.

5. PHILJOHNSON

PHILJOHNSON Sales Manager

Jul 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Hi Brian,

I wanted to let you know that it is definitely possible to clean the printhead on your DC5. You will need a lint free isopropyl alcohol swab to clean the head and you want to clean it from the front to the back of the printhead. I have attached a pdf document which shows the side of the printhead you will need to clean. Once you complete the cleaning I would also change the cleaning sheet on your optiprint cleaning system and try running a few prints of solid colors that run full span. For example, if you are printing on a 54" wide media your printable area per pass will be 3.79" tall by 50.2" wide so just design a rectangle roughly that size and print a few passes. If the white line is still present in the middle of the print pass after the cleaning then unfortunately the head would need to be replaced.

Please feel free to email me directly at philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain at all on this process.

Thanks, Brian!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
    Airmark Corporation
    (800)527-7778, ext 112
    philj@airmark.com

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Bridge Signs

Brian Bridge Signs New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Ireland
    Hi
    i bought it less than 3 years ago. It was always referred to as a DC5 .Airmark was never mentioned
    Regards