• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

summa dc4sx vs dc5sx

davedavedave

hi
i still havent bought a gerber yet because i couldnt really find a good deal... found a gerber 2 with everything for 3000 euro thats a lil bit to much in my opinion for a gerber....
after searching for a while i found the summa...

for my surprise over here in germany a used summa dc4sx isnt much more expensive than a used gerber 2 , if u lucky u can find gerber cheap but theres always something missing software dongle etc...

i found a summa printer with a few ribbons for about 4000euro... since i saw this printer im not sure if i should still be on the look out for a gerber??

i have afew questions maybe somebody can help me

i read in this forum that the printer is making some kind of marks every 970mm can somebody show me what is meant by that??? i couldnt find a picture...

i will have the machine standing at home - does the print makes dangerous fumes?
or is it ok to use if i just open the window??

also what software comes with it?
on the summa page there are a few rip downloads but i couldnt really find anything on google...
i saw a plugin for cutters and other printers for illustrator on their page... is this also working with the dc???

and what is the difference between a dc4sx and dc5sx?

sorry for the questions..
thx

Printexrick

I have a dc4 and had it for years. I even let it sit for years and it still works. Yes you can get banding between passes but if you have the time and depending on what your printing intentions are it is a great printer.
Airmark is a good place to start. The tech people there are always willing to help. And I don't work for them just learned a lot on my own.

FrankW

The printer prints with ribbons with a width of about 10cm. If the print exceeds that size, it will print an additional pass. The feed is adjustable so that you won't have gaps or overlaps between this passes, and there are some other settings to optimize it, but specially on solid colors you will see anytime were the Passes touch.

The printer doesn't make dangerous fumes.

Summa themselves had delivered that printers with a simple RIP-Software Summa Color Control, but this software is optional for the small DC4sx. If you want to buy it, it cost about 500 Euros. There are some other Software which drives the printer, e. g. FlexiSIGN & PRINT or CADLink Signlab, but they will cost additional money too. Summa Color Control needs a dongle too.

The Plugin Software which can be downloaded through the summa website is only for sending data directly (without ex- and import) to the software. So the plugin alone will not drive the printer. You'll need Summa Color Control.

The differences between DC4 and DC5 are small: the DC5 has a colour touch screen instead of a LCD Text Display and jogging keys, and a network port ... the DC4 only have USB.

The advantages of that printers over a Gerber Edge is the possible media size, they can be set up with 5 (DC_sx) to 8 (DC) Ribbons at one time, and the cutter is integrated. And the Gerber Edge feeds media by tractor, so you need vinyl with perforated edges. The Gerber will have no banding over his whole size (30cm), and there is a great selection of ribbon colors available (but expensive).

But: the Gerber Edge, in name the Gerber Edge FX, is a machine which is still on sale, and still supported. Summa themselves do not support that machine anymore, have problems with delivering spare parts and ribbons (they sell CMYK and White only in Europe). You can check with Airmark, a company in Seattle (USA), they still sell machines, a good selection of ribbons and all spare parts, but you won't find that in Europe.

What is the application you want to use the printer for? They are very good in a small selection of applications, the prints are expensive, and they can only be used for vinyl.

Printexrick

Yes, you can print with no banding if you set it up correctly. The banding happens when you get to much overlap or your settings are off, colors that really contrast with each other, and the environment your printing in. It takes some trial runs and setting changes. But you won't get the high quality of a good injet jet two different dinasours. But again it depends on what your planning for in a business model. We use our in arizona so humidity isn't much of a problem. Out door durability without lamination is good too.
I give it a good three years + here. Not to mention you can print metal ribbons opaque white and excellent spot colors.

artofacks1

How much will you charge me to print some stuff? I have (2) two 12" x 12" samples I cold pay you for. I just want see see how them files look in comparison to my edge FX.

I really need a bigger footprint.

Yes, you can print with no banding if you set it up correctly. The banding happens when you get to much overlap or your settings are off, colors that really contrast with each other, and the environment your printing in. It takes some trial runs and setting changes. But you won't get the high quality of a good injet jet two different dinasours. But again it depends on what your planning for in a business model. We use our in arizona so humidity isn't much of a problem. Out door durability without lamination is good too.
I give it a good three years + here. Not to mention you can print metal ribbons opaque white and excellent spot colors.