• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa F-Series Cutting Through Carrier Tape

CaptainCurtis

Hi All,

I am in the market for a flatbed plotter and we are strongly focused towards the Summa F-Series having owned plenty of Summa products in the past and always being very happy with their performance.

We have a few reasons for wanting a flatbed, i won't go into most as i can find answers for all of that elsewhere, however, onto the reason i do need some advice with and what we want to make it achieve; we create a lot of graphics kits for motor manufactueres. Things such as stripe and decal kits that are supplied on mass, 100's if not 1000's at a time, all of these graphics kits are generally printed and then cut on our plotters, weeded, carrier tape applied and then will have controlled edges that we will hand cut the graphics kits to. So for example if a stripe kit goes perfectly down the swage line on a van, we'll cut the applicatin tape and wax paper to a shape that perfectly lines up with the panel edges on the van, so they are easily installed in the same place every time.

The lengthly process here is the hand cutting of all of these controlled edges so the plan is to buy a flatbed plotter to try and cut this process out. We'd be looking to print, cut, weed all graphics, apply carrier tape then return the graphics back to the flatbed, re-register and then cut out the graphics to our controlled edges.

Does anyone have any experience of trying this? Difficult to explain but i hope this makes some sort of sense.

TIA, Edd.

jasonx

For the kiss cut just a manual origin. But in your cut file leave round reg dots of vinyl to register for after you app tape.

You can see the circles to the bottom of the sheet.

ProColorGraphics

The Summa F would hand that fine. Just be a matter of setting up your file for the 2 different cuts, then remembering not to remove the crop marks when weeding out the graphics.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

This is actually a very easy application for the F-Series and you can setup a camera profile to read the registration marks through the masking. You could even use the same 2mm black square registration marks that you use on your roll-fed Summa cutters as well. If you have one of the OPOS Cam machines there is a "twin workflow" option where you can use the same output program, GoProduce, to the send the cut files to both the roll-fed and flatbed cutter.

We have installed many of these tables and have several customers currently cutting masked decals like what you are describing, so please feel free to contact me if you would like to pick my brain on this process. I can be reached via email at philj@airmark.com or by phone at (800)527-7778, ext 112.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com