• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa F1612 - cutting sharp edges - PVC / ACM

ImPeter

Hey everyone!
I have recently purchased a used Summa F1612 with 2x tangential modules and a 1.4kw router.
Im looking for advice in cutting signs with sharp edges for smaller and/or more detailed designs. For bigger designs the router is fine with the 2-3mm bits but I often have to cut smaller logos, texts from 3-5-10mm thick PVC or 3mm ACP.
First, can I cut ACP with anything else than the router? My rep says that ACP can only be cut with the router, however, I've seen a video with the POT tool cutting it (I think) ->
Second, I've already broken some blades in the heavy duty tool trying to cut 5mm and 10mm PVC even when I set it to 3-4 passes, so I guess that's not gonna work. How about the EOT or POT tool for cutting PVC up to 10mm thick?
Can anyone share their experience? I want to invest into the EOT or POT tool only if it really does the work nicely.

Thanks in advance!

Technician

Drive it hard
ACP and Dibond is your only option Route to get nice results. The pvc. Is the PVC foam you talk about? If it’s same as Forex then you can use single edge cut out knife. But 10mm you need to use router. I have done test with POT in 5mm Forex and doing smaller letters and it doesn’t look god.

ImPeter

ACP and Dibond is your only option Route to get nice results. The pvc. Is the PVC foam you talk about? If it’s same as Forex then you can use single edge cut out knife. But 10mm you need to use router. I have done test with POT in 5mm Forex and doing smaller letters and it doesn’t look god.
Do you use single edge knife up to 5mm for Forex? Multipass or at once?

CanuckSigns

Our f1612 can cut up to 6mm thick PVC with the heavy duty knife, as long as the cuts are straight,any curves will snap the knife.

We've found the single edge knife to be useless, it snaps if you look at it wrong.

For ACM you need to use the router, I can't imagine any knife working well on this material.

Technician

Drive it hard
Do you use single edge knife up to 5mm for Forex? Multipass or at once?
Multi pass 1.5mm and 400mm/s. I think I use 0.4 in compensation
And yes the knife tip is intact
Better results if not cut letters with round corners.

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    994.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4901.jpeg
    IMG_4901.jpeg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg