• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa f1612 Question

mbarden

Hi Everyone,
We have a project that we print on our flat bed that utilizes a full sheet of 3mm pvc and a full sheet of 6mm pvc. We have (6) 32" h x 24" L signs from the material. We print full bleed to utilize all the material. We used to hand trim these on our Fletcher wall mounted cutter. Does any one know how to cut these on the Summa? Im planning on using the router. I need a 48" x 96" sheet cut into (6) 24" x 32" signs. Ive seen vids of people using the Summa to cut down full sheets of coro into smaller 18 x 24's with out any waste. Thanks

CanuckSigns

Hi Everyone,
We have a project that we print on our flat bed that utilizes a full sheet of 3mm pvc and a full sheet of 6mm pvc. We have (6) 32" h x 24" L signs from the material. We print full bleed to utilize all the material. We used to hand trim these on our Fletcher wall mounted cutter. Does any one know how to cut these on the Summa? Im planning on using the router. I need a 48" x 96" sheet cut into (6) 24" x 32" signs. Ive seen vids of people using the Summa to cut down full sheets of coro into smaller 18 x 24's with out any waste. Thanks
If you are using the router you will not be able to get 2 24" wide pieces from a 48" sheet, you loose the kerf of the router bit, however there are some options.

For 3mm pvc, if your signs are square, cut them with the heavy duty knife, this has no kerf. Because the summa doesn't have a "home" position, you will need to load your sheet extremely square to the machine, set your origin to the front corner, and load in a cut only file that matches your print, but in your cut file, you need to exclude the cuts around the perimeter of the sheet.

You can also see if your supplier sells oversized sheets, we get coroplast in 50"×100" sheets, this allows us to print the crop marks and still get a full 48x96 working area.

mbarden

If you are using the router you will not be able to get 2 24" wide pieces from a 48" sheet, you loose the kerf of the router bit, however there are some options.

For 3mm pvc, if your signs are square, cut them with the heavy duty knife, this has no kerf. Because the summa doesn't have a "home" position, you will need to load your sheet extremely square to the machine, set your origin to the front corner, and load in a cut only file that matches your print, but in your cut file, you need to exclude the cuts around the perimeter of the sheet.

You can also see if your supplier sells oversized sheets, we get coroplast in 50"×100" sheets, this allows us to print the crop marks and still get a full 48x96 working area.
Thank you! Where do you get your router bits? also do you route any ACM with vinyl applied to it? Getting build up of adhesive on the bit.

CanuckSigns

Thank you! Where do you get your router bits? also do you route any ACM with vinyl applied to it? Getting build up of adhesive on the bit.
I get my router bits from betterbits.ca they are good and not super expensive. We do route acm with vinyl applied, but we generally premask it first to avoid scratches from the dust boot. I found adhesive build up can come from a dull bit, sharp bits very rarely get build up.

CanuckSigns

I get my router bits from betterbits.ca they are good and not super expensive. We do route acm with vinyl applied, but we generally premask it first to avoid scratches from the dust boot. I found adhesive build up can come from a dull bit, sharp bits very rarely get build up.
Also, if you want a good source for knives for this machine, check out https://www.china-oyea.com/index.php?classid=408

I get all of my blades from them, summa wants $120 CAD for a heavy duty knife, I get them for $6 each and the quality is identical.