• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Length Issues

TobyBeardsall

So here's the thing...... I operate a summa D160. Generally, using opus I only cut up to a maximum length 1200 mm using 4 manually placed dots. If I want to cut beyond that length, let's say 2400mm I place 6 manual dots (one midway) Send the job, but the cutter is out by about 3mm! driving me crazy. I even tried manually moving the cut file within the dots by 3mm to try and fool the machine into cutting accurately, but it stubbornly refused. Any ideas? I work in Affinity, so don't have the luxury of the adobe plug in for summa dots.
Thanks in advance
Toby Beardsall

TobyBeardsall

oh, thanks for the quick response; so I am not doing anything wrong, what would be the maximum length I should get away with using opus? I will try slowing it down now!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I think in good condition you can do 5 meters without paneling and have good tracking.
Not recommended tho... But 2 meters no problem.

FrankW

What do you mean with "placing dots manually"? Do you put in the parameters manually too? This need to be very precise to avoid deviation.

TobyBeardsall

I place 3mm blk squares as a cut layer in the artwork in all 4 four corners of the artboard, they are very precisely lined up. I don't know another way of doing it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Clean the grip rollers. You can lower the acceleration speeds from cutter control so it will not speed up so quickly and slip so easy.

TobyBeardsall

Thank you for all your advice on this, just cleaned the machine and found a 'sticky' pinch roller, it was not moving freely which must have added to the problem.

danno

I think in good condition you can do 5 meters without paneling and have good tracking.
Not recommended tho... But 2 meters no problem.
I used to cut bout 20' (240") back in the day with the first t160. We set everything manually back then. We were within a knife blade when we forgot to add a bleed.