• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Opos problem

Ricki Susic

Hi,
I'm trying to OPOS-cut a print, and I meet several problems. My cutter is a D60R and software is Summa Winplot V11.8

Problem no. 1 is that the Winplot Software only recognizes some of the curves that I've made. The shape is a trapezoid where the right edge is not showing in Winplot. I've tried to do the document from scratch to se if I made a mistake, but same sorry result. What can be the issue? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Problem no. 2 - when I load my print and hit "OPOS" in winplot, the plotter asks me to "Set tool below barcode" - but as I recall from earlier jobs I expected the message to be "Set tool above origin mark" - what have I done wrong??

Best regards

Sendt fra min HD1913 med Tapatalk

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Install GoSign (and firmware rev039) and see if that works out better.
Somewhere you have selected the barcode workflow and that's why it asks you that.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hi,
I'm trying to OPOS-cut a print, and I meet several problems. My cutter is a D60R and software is Summa Winplot V11.8

Problem no. 1 is that the Winplot Software only recognizes some of the curves that I've made. The shape is a trapezoid where the right edge is not showing in Winplot. I've tried to do the document from scratch to se if I made a mistake, but same sorry result. What can be the issue? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Problem no. 2 - when I load my print and hit "OPOS" in winplot, the plotter asks me to "Set tool below barcode" - but as I recall from earlier jobs I expected the message to be "Set tool above origin mark" - what have I done wrong??

Best regards

Sendt fra min HD1913 med Tapatalk
This sounds like the software you are using to create the art is using a close shape command that Winplot doesn't handle. GoSign has fixed that with modern PDF handling.

KEYSER SOZE

In my humble opinion Summa plotters are terrible. GRAPHTEC

As an past owner of 10 Graphtecs, including their very first 500mm wide unit in 1990 through to the FC 8600-160, I call BS.
We've been printing and profile cutting from the very first time it was a thing. (and no, we don't use latex).

Graphtecs are great cutters for vinyl cut lettering, they are fast, accurate as they need to be, and affordable.
When it comes to Profile-Cutting Laminated prints however they are not in the same galaxy as the Summagraphics S2 Class, it's not even close.

We even had to go through 3 brand new 8600s before we got one with a perfectly straight beam (really).
Once we did get a straight one it was okay, but really not that accurate, it was always hit and miss, you need to add plenty of bleed.
We got a lot of rejects, especially cutting laminated polymeric prints, 2.5 metre long prints were the max for any sort of accuracy.
And no, we don't use latex.

Fast forward to 3 years ago we got a couple of Summa S2 160Ts.
Mind blowing accuracy (without the camera), on laminated cast, laminated poly, and even thick laminated floor graphic.

Occasionally we are supplied graphics and logos with so many overlapping colours, it's impossible to add bleed.
No problem with the Summas, they cut exactly on the edges of the graphics, even on big stuff.

2 days ago we took a gamble and printed a 4.9 metre logo 1300mm wide on 1370mm wide 3MIJ180, laminated.
It cut exactly, not close, exactly on the edges of the graphics.
Unthinkable on any profile-cutting capable Graphtec we've had.

KEYSER SOZE

As an past owner of 10 Graphtecs, including their very first 500mm wide unit in 1990 through to the FC 8600-160, I call BS.
We've been printing and profile cutting from the very first time it was a thing. (and no, we don't use latex).

Graphtecs are great cutters for vinyl cut lettering, they are fast, accurate as they need to be, and affordable.
When it comes to Profile-Cutting Laminated prints however they are not in the same galaxy as the Summagraphics S2 Class, it's not even close.

We even had to go through 3 brand new 8600s before we got one with a perfectly straight beam (really).
Once we did get a straight one it was okay, but really not that accurate, it was always hit and miss, you need to add plenty of bleed.
We got a lot of rejects, especially cutting laminated polymeric prints, 2.5 metre long prints were the max for any sort of accuracy.
And no, we don't use latex.

Fast forward to 3 years ago we got a couple of Summa S2 160Ts.
Mind blowing accuracy (without the camera), on laminated cast, laminated poly, and even thick laminated floor graphic.

Occasionally we are supplied graphics and logos with so many overlapping colours, it's impossible to add bleed.
No problem with the Summas, they cut exactly on the edges of the graphics, even on big stuff.

2 days ago we took a gamble and printed a 4.9 metre logo 1300mm wide on 1370mm wide 3MIJ180, laminated.
It cut exactly, not close, exactly on the edges of the graphics.
Unthinkable on any profile-cutting capable Graphtec we've had.
Oops, typed that wrong.
It was a 7.9 metre logo.

Hey Riki,
Have you already tried going into the Cutter Control to check your settings? Also, depending on how you imported your work into WinPlot may have some influence on the incomplete cut. Make sure the graphic has all layers visible and unlocked that you need cut. Including Registration marks. Programs like Corel will actually fill a shape with color even though the curve is not closed. Check in wire frame and make sure it's closed. Might be a dumb question, but...Check and see if its not exceeding the width of the cutter.
The bar code is annoying to click back over. I have hit this command several times when checking the cut pressure. Again, look in the Cutter Control, make sure that the barcode is off and you may need to go into set up to turn off the bar code reader as well.
You made a good choice with the Summa, worth the money, especially working with thick laminates and materials.