• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S class 140 T

buck-ejit

Has anyone had experiance of this machine or any of the T series size machines.

I am currently running a Graphtec FC7000-100

David Wright

I have a T series Summa and am not sure if I ever needed it. Maybe for sandblast but other than that a drag knife would suffice. Which by the way was my Summa before this one.

TresL

I use mine EVERY day. Best cutter I have owned to date.

I had a FC7000 before the my 75T

Ditchmiester

I have a graphtec FC8000-60 now and would really like to upgrade to a Summa. I hear everyone praising the Summa but how much nicer is it than my graphtec. Is it worth the 9K to upgrade to an S140

buck-ejit

Cheers guys.

We would have a lot of small labels on jobs i.e 10mm as low as 6mm and we could be cutting 100 at a time so if the cut isn't great then the weeding is a pain. For instance I find as good as our drag knife is it lifts the corners of lettering as we also use Helvetica as our font which is a tough font to start with never mind cutting it so small so I thought the Tangential would make things better.

MikeD

Summa's plotters have a tangential head while Graphtec's (in my experience) are typically drag-knife cutters. However, Graphtec plotters can be set to emulate tangential cutting.
More importantly, Summa (also in my experience) offers much better technical support.

buck-ejit

Summa's plotters have a tangential head while Graphtec's (in my experience) are typically drag-knife cutters. However, Graphtec plotters can be set to emulate tangential cutting.
More importantly, Summa (also in my experience) offers much better technical support.

Yes Mike we currently run a Gtech 7000-100 and we have the emulation turned on, but it still drags on the corners on small lettering. This is why I have posted in the Digital Printing section as we are now wondering if it would be cost effective to move our vinyl cutting to printing instead. We churn out 1500 buses per year so as you can imagine thats a lot of small labels to weed on a daily basis. i.e " Space provision for fire extinguisher" is one of them of which there can be 3 on a bus there is also one worded the same only for first aid and they are 10mm high. So even on those 6 labels we could be cutting 200+ of them each in one week. as we have to account for the fitters damaging them etc etc. Each vehicle can have upto 150+ labels on them. We will still need a cutter But is we go with the printing as our bulk label we probably wont need such a high spec cutter. A drag knife would probably suffice

FrankW

I sell and support Summa-Cutters in Switzerland. Even if the drag knife ist much cheaper around here, around 90% of our (98% professional) customers buy tangential S-Class (10% drag S-Class and complete SummaCut-Range together). And from the 10% not buying tangential, they would if they would have enough money. Some of that customers decide to pay this additional money after weeding and precision tests (others have used summa tangential for years and just want to upgrade).

buck-ejit

I sell and support Summa-Cutters in Switzerland. Even if the drag knife ist much cheaper around here, around 90% of our (98% professional) customers buy tangential S-Class (10% drag S-Class and complete SummaCut-Range together). And from the 10% not buying tangential, they would if they would have enough money. Some of that customers decide to pay this additional money after weeding and precision tests (others have used summa tangential for years and just want to upgrade).

Interesting Frank to here what you say. As we dont have a big following of Summa here in Northern Ireland. Roland seem to very popular but then again that may be down to the fact there is a Roland supplier in N.I. I have a guy calling round on Monday to chat about HP printers, He is also a Summa Registered Rep. He is going to contact Summa UK and ask if there has been any S-class T Series sold over here for us to go and see it in action first hand. There are 2 Sign manufacturers in my town and Both run Summa's as well as Graptechs but they Both say the Summa all day long is better. One said the Graptech is your Opel and Summa is the Aston Martin.

miguel111santos

hello, before the buy, i experimented the FC800 and the Summa Tangencial, and even the graphtec sellers sad that the summa is better. me is to cut mx graphics and already made the buy and need to whait 10 days to the plotter gets here. for my search, its the best plotter in the market, but the most expensive

FrankW

@ buck-ejit:

For my imagination out of 15 years experience in this market, Summa is a market leader in switzerland (and most of the sold units are tangentials).

I have offered Roland and Summa Cutters together for a long period, but have sold perhaps 3 of the Roland-Cutters in 10 years, all GX-24, no big one. I really like the Roland printers, I have done big business with them over the years, but I don't like the cutters. If for example comparing the contour cutting functionality of both manufacturers, summa OPOS is much more enhanced.

Haakon

Does anyone have experience or info on the new S2 class cutters? With the color display (amongst other things). I see them advertised on this forum, but the Summa website does not say much about what is new and different about them.

FrankW

Does anyone have experience or info on the new S2 class cutters? With the color display (amongst other things). I see them advertised on this forum, but the Summa website does not say much about what is new and different about them.

• Color Display
  • Faster internal processor
  • 10/100Mbit Network Connector
  • Optimized OPOS mechanism (a little bit optimized processing speed)
  • USB A-Connector to plot files directly from an USB-Stick
  • Possibility to upgrade additional pinch rollers in the field (old unit: must be factory-installed)
  • No optional wireless anymore, not serial port anymore
Not seen live, just the dealer information from Summa. We will get out demo unit around next week as far as I think, perhaps then I will have additional information.

buck-ejit

Thanks for all the info guys.

Ok I am pretty sure we will be going for the New S2 140, but I would like to know what printing and cutting setup you all have. We are currently looking at an HP or Mimaki printer along with the Summa

Also as I is it possible to buy a scanner that will scan something like an A3 multi colored banner and be able to replicate it just as good as the original ???
If this is possible I think I would like to get one as well.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
New S2 Class Cutter

Hello Everyone,

As previously mentioned, we recently released our new S2 class cutter, and the new device offers several new convenient file transfer and connectivity features, a faster internal processor, as well as a full color touch screen display and menu system.

Our brand new "Flash Cut" feature allows users to output cut ready files from a USB flash drive that connects directly to the device. This allows users a quick convenient way to send files, where the unit wouldn't need to be connected via USB or Ethernet.

I would be happy to individually answer any questions about this exciting new technology, or any other Summa products. Please feel free to contact me toll free at (800)527-7778, ext 112 or by email at philj@summa.us with any questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

ProColorGraphics

I love my HP Latex and would ONLY recommend the Summa T Series with it. I tried a FC8000 with no luck and used a SummaCut for while. It worked okay, but nothing like the S-Class T Series!! The S-Class was WAY faster and Way more accurate. I highly recommend Summa cutters and even considering upgrading myself.

FrankW

Today I have assembled our new S-Class 2 Demo-Unit. I haven't tested it very much because its weekend :smile: , but it looks nice.

The display looks very brillant on every of their official pictures, but it's really brillant in reality too. The old black & white have some problems with contrast even when calibrate it (we had a lot of displays replaced in 2005 because they can't be calibrated to a situation nice), its a completely different world with the new displays.

The menu structure is new, the menu hierarchy is flattened and, in opposite to scroll a value list, you can now call a numeric keypad to enter any values.

Network connection to Flexi 10.5.1 works perfectly even with size polling.