• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S class maestro’s needed

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we have an S2 T160, had a call in for it for about a month but no tech as of yet (thank you coronavirus). Coincidentally, this is the busiest the summa has ever been (thank you coronavirus)

basically, it freezes a LOT. (That’s why we put the initial call in but it has since gotten a lot worse). Mostly whenever we load a roll, sheet, whatever. It’ll start its little dance with the sheet to measure it (I’ve since turned that off - no help) and then it freezes somewhere (not consistently) and ends up trying to unwind the roll out the front until you catch it and turn it off at the back.

It also routinely like to drop the blade right into the cutting strip and then drag it across the prints while doing so, not ideal..

Yesterday we got an encoder error and an up/down motor error alongside a Y axis error.

Machine is under warranty but the earliest we’ve been promised a tech is Tuesday. Trouble is, we’re VERY busy and I need to cut another 60 rolls of floor vinyl by next Friday and I don’t enjoy living at work. Tech that’s coming said he’s bringing a main board and a head module - could he have missed anything?

Firmware is up to date and I’ve tried a factory reset of the summa - do any of you have any tips on trying to keep this thing running before the tech arrives? I’ve now turned off the auto load feature, so no little dance and I’ve turned off both media sensors in case they were causing any troubles.

FrankW

Have you tried a factory reset with your plotters initial configuration downloaded from the summa website (at the end of the download page, set your serial number)?

When the knife drops on the cutting strip: does it fell out of the knife holder? Or does the complete mechanics lower? If only the knife falls down, try to press it to the knife holder, remove knife and knife holder and press the knife firmly against the knife holder (the white little round plastic block delivered with the cutter is for that).

Because you have several problems, I would do the reset with the download from summa, and if that wont help, replacing the mainboard.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
That’s great Frank I’ll try that reset first thing, the one I did today was just on the actual summa.

When the knife goes down it’s the full mechanics that lower, it’ll be 50% through a job (not always 50%), have the blade down and then the head will just shoot off to one side as the pinch rollers pull as much media through as fast as they can. Generally meaning it scratches through a good bit of material. None of it is consistent either.

twice yesterday it had the head shoot off to the screen side, drop the blade with what I can only assume was as much pressure as it could into the cutting strip, then kept spinning the blade. Sounded like an aeroplane was about to take off lol

We had a few memory problems initially, it would freeze a lot so the tech came out and just cleared/redone the firmware, he’d brought a new main board with him but decided against fitting it. Told us to call him back if we had more troubles. Phoned him back a few days later and they weren’t sending techs out any more, typical lol

Saturn

Aging Member
If Firmware is up to date, I would try going directly from the computer to the printer with no routers or hubs in between. Also could try using whichever cord you aren't currently using, ethernet vs usb. Lastly you might try driving the plotter from an entirely new/separate computer?