• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa s2 t series for mx decals?

Ard88

Hey guys!

I am in the process of stepping my mx decal game up a bit and I need help!

Can a summa s2 t series cut through laminate and media about 650 microns thick, in my case I am looking at the substance 660le (150 microns) with the overlaminate from substance (380 microns). Can the summa cutter handle this with good quality?

Thx in advance guys!

[HASHTAG]#summa[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#graphickit[/HASHTAG]

TDFcustomSL

Hey guys!

I am in the process of stepping my mx decal game up a bit and I need help!

Can a summa s2 t series cut through laminate and media about 650 microns thick, in my case I am looking at the substance 660le (150 microns) with the overlaminate from substance (380 microns). Can the summa cutter handle this with good quality?

Thx in advance guys!

[HASHTAG]#summa[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#graphickit[/HASHTAG]
Yep, i do it all the time. Only issue is that when i first got the summa, the blade kept dragging across the media and scratching it. I was told to build an in feed and out feed table to keep the material from buckling up under the head. My workaround is to take cleaning swab to the side of the cut head to keep the media pushed down around the blade and haven't had an issue sense. I would have thought that for a 10k machine they would have some type of attachment but the cleaning swab works just fine for me

Ard88

Yep, i do it all the time. Only issue is that when i first got the summa, the blade kept dragging across the media and scratching it. I was told to build an in feed and out feed table to keep the material from buckling up under the head. My workaround is to take cleaning swab to the side of the cut head to keep the media pushed down around the blade and haven't had an issue sense. I would have thought that for a 10k machine they would have some type of attachment but the cleaning swab works just fine for me

Could you maybe take a picture for me so I can understand what you mean? :) Thx

Bly

Using the 55 or 60 degree blade with the thick nose piece helps when cutting thick media.

ProColorGraphics

Summa is all I will use. I did the 54" version, but added (2) extra pinch rollers. I HIGHLY recommend doing that. Helps keep the media flatter and tracks better in my opinion.

TDFcustomSL

Could you maybe take a picture for me so I can understand what you mean? :) Thx
This is what I am using as I type this, I am out of cleaning swabs so these are just Q Tips. May not be pretty but it works. I wish I knew someone that had a 3d printer and the same cutter...I have an idea for making a new head cover but executing the idea is beyond my level of smartness.

Attachments

• 20180308_184237.jpg
    20180308_184237.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 347

Ard88

Thanks guys! Any suggestions in cutting speed so the material don’t drag out of place? Also ratio cut force/ flex force?

cuartadimension

Hello Ard 88..... I'm Pedro from Spain. I have a Summa S Class Tangential and I have problems cutting the laminated vinyl substance, What pressure do you use? What kind of blade ???? I have to put 560 of force and 45 degree blade at 200 speed, to make an optimal cut. It seems to me a very high force pressure., My graphtec fc 8600 cut the same to 450 of pressure. ,,, The original tangential cutters, are very thick and have little edge to cut ,,,,

cuartadimension

Hello ..... I'm Pedro from Spain. I have a Summa S Class Tangential and I have problems cutting the laminated vinyl substance, What pressure do you use? What kind of blade ???? I have to put 560 of force and 45 degree blade at 200 speed, to make an optimal cut. It seems to me a very high force pressure., My graphtec fc 8600 cut the same to 450 of pressure. ,,, The original tangential cutters, are very thick and have little edge to cut ,,,,

kanini

We have a S2 but drag knife version. We haven't had much success in cutting Substance without a lot of hassle, very slow speed, knife dragging on the material etc. We tried a lot of different settings, knives etc. but it never seemed to work right. Great cutter otherwise but not for this imo. Now we are fortunate to use a F class flatbed cutter and that works like a dream. The only way to cut these materials if you ask me. But that's a really different price range as well...

Ard88

I have actually got it to work fraking beautifully with the tangential. I have decided not to go through the paper, i cut to the paper and then remove the vinyl around leaving an edge of paper arounf (easier for customer to peel off as well) and then I just cut around it.

I use flexi cut and not a lot of power, wotks fantastic anyway!