• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2T140 or S2160?

Imperial Print

Hello everyone!

I am looking at getting a standalone vinyl cutter for contour and perf cutting stickers. I've been reading excellent things about the Summa cutters. I am currently printing with an XR-640 and I would like to speed the process up by getting a Summa.

My dilemma is: Do I get the 54" or 64" version. My laminator is 54" but the printer is 64". I mainly do die-cut stickers so I'm usually using 54" material. Is it worth the extra money for the capabilities? What applications would I need the 64". I just like to know all my options before a big purchase :D

Thanks in advance!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
As far as summas go, they appear to be tanks. I can’t imagine after you’ve bought it you’ll need a new plotter for quite some time. So it really depends if you ever plan to invest in a bigger laminator or if you do a lot of unlamimated work.

personally I’d go for the 64”, for the price difference it’s better to have and not need than to need and not have.

CanuckSigns

i have a 54" graphtec with a 64" printer, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have wished I had a larger plotter in the last 3 years. Some cut vinyl films and frosted films come in larger than 54", but most everything is 54" and less. if you do need a larger plotter on occasion, you can cut with your XR640 I assume?

Imperial Print

Yes, the Roland can cut as well. But obviously a standalone cutter will perform better. My wholesale rep made a good point with paint masking and things in the car wrap world a 64" would be beneficial. And I have got frosted films in 60" before.
iprintstuff - You definitely make a good point!

Imperial Print

So I'd like to get the general consensus about die-cutting/perf cutting on a Summa. Yay or Nay? Should I go another route and print sheets out, cut them into smaller sections and get dies made for a press? Does anyone have any experience or willing to share their workflow? I've had some good success with stickers and now I'd like to put a little more into the business. Little by little you know :)

CanuckSigns

I can't speak for the Summa, but our Graphtec does an amazing job at perf cutting. I just had a Job for almost 7000 decals, i had the graphtec contour cut them, then perf cut them out 0.125" beyond the contour cut line, they just popped right off the sheet with almost no effort, saved me a few hours of table time on that job alone, and the end product looks very professional to the client, all decals are exactly the same size and in nice neat stacks.