• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S3 Vacuum

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
It's been a long day and I feel like this is a simple thing but I just cannot find how to increase the vacuum on my S3? It's gotta be in the control panel somewhere - any help? I am still dealing with my blade making a small cut across my prints during initialization on the X axis. Blade is barely sticking out - other than buying a middle pinch roller (which is expensive!) I figure I would try to increase the vacuum but I can't seem to be able to find this setting on the control panel.

Thanks!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I don't know how many vacuum fans it has but you can also try to mask off remaining holes. In theory it could increase suction.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
You cannot adjust the vacuum suction on the S3, but you can add additional pinch rollers which are called "media select kits". The part number for the kit on the S3 models is 395-682, cost is $417/ea., and we(Airmark) usually keep those in stock. The additional pinch roller will reduce the gap distances between the rollers and keep the material down flatter to the cutter surface so the blade doesn't scratch the material when it boots up and does the auto loading process.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else that I can do to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It's been a long day and I feel like this is a simple thing but I just cannot find how to increase the vacuum on my S3? It's gotta be in the control panel somewhere - any help? I am still dealing with my blade making a small cut across my prints during initialization on the X axis. Blade is barely sticking out - other than buying a middle pinch roller (which is expensive!) I figure I would try to increase the vacuum but I can't seem to be able to find this setting on the control panel.

Thanks!

Here's the thread Summa doesn't want you to know about.....: https://www.signs101.com/threads/s140t-dragging-blade-across-laminated-prints.159007/

(We're still running our plotter like this, years later)

Snydo

Another option to consider is making your prints narrower. I regularly print on 54" 6 mil media, with a 10 mil laminate that is 51" wide, I try to keep my prints less than 46" wide and this is WITH the extra pinch roller.
You can also place the leftmost pinch roller inside(to the right of) the bottom left crop mark to facilitate less spacing between pinch rollers, resulting in less material bulge.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Interesting - initial support told me to increase the vacuum. Ha.

My prints are only 30" wide to begin with - I didn't think I needed an added middle pinch roller since I have the smallest version. I do use thick material - and still getting the cuts across unfortunately.

Thanks everyone.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Well - added a thicker cleaning swab and taped it up - so far so good. Crazy you have to add something like this to a brand new cutter (which I love by the way - way more accurate than my Roland could ever dream of) - or add a $400 pinch roller just to eliminate this issue.

Thanks for all the replies!

Saturn

Aging Member
If you're running something heavy, you could consider a 4-5 inches of an outfeed "platform" taped/attached to the front of the machine. Helps it lay flatter as it cuts. Just use some old cardboard as a ledge gently sloped/curved down.