• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa technician in the St. Louis, MO area

eagleact

Does any know of a Summa technician in the St. louis, Mo area? We replaced the pinch roller handle....seemed to go fine but now the summa t series keeps saying to insert media and put down pinch rollers....even though they are down. The people that sold it want $1295 tech charge just to come and look at it...heck...might as well buy a new one at that rate.

Thanks.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We had something similar happen on our older S140T. It doesn't recognize when the rollers are all the way down but will lose the "insert media" message when the lever is 2/3 of the way down.

I just shoved a shim in there and it works.............might be worth a shot. (It stops the pinch roller lever from going all the way down but still allows pinch rollers to go down and operate normally)

White Haus

Not a Newbie
had a glimmer of hope there...but did not work....thanks for replying though!
Ah, sorry! Was worth a shot. There must be some kind of sensor or contact switch there that is malfunctioning or shot.

Hope you can find someone to get it looked after. Good luck!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
When you purchased the replacement handle, did you purchase the full kit from Summa that includes the switch? There is a contact switch that comes with the kit and either the handle is not making contact with the switch(which is what lets the cutter know that the pinch rollers are lowered) or the switch is broken. The only other thing that could cause that error message is if the front media sensor is not working correctly, but that is unlikely if it was working correctly prior to you swapping out the handle.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

Technician

Drive it hard
Does any know of a Summa technician in the St. louis, Mo area? We replaced the pinch roller handle....seemed to go fine but now the summa t series keeps saying to insert media and put down pinch rollers....even though they are down. The people that sold it want $1295 tech charge just to come and look at it...heck...might as well buy a new one at that rate.

Thanks.
It’s less of 1h job to fixing. Why don’t you take your machine to the technician instead.

eagleact

When you purchased the replacement handle, did you purchase the full kit from Summa that includes the switch? There is a contact switch that comes with the kit and either the handle is not making contact with the switch(which is what lets the cutter know that the pinch rollers are lowered) or the switch is broken. The only other thing that could cause that error message is if the front media sensor is not working correctly, but that is unlikely if it was working correctly prior to you swapping out the handle.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com
We actually fixed the handle with epoxy…I said the same thing to my guy that fixed it…there has to be a switch that tells the machine it is down but we could not find it. Where is the switch? Thanks so much

eagleact

SOLVED! I knew there had to be a switch as well...We had the very left most piece upside down so it was not triggering the switch. Thanks Phil...your post made me look again.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Great to hear you solved the problem! Feel free to contact me anytime if there's anything else I can do to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com