• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Workflow

Goatshaver

So I'm considering getting a summa d140 to help increase productivity a bit, but I was told the flow would be a bit wonky as I'm running a Roland SP-540V. (Which is in good shape and I don't want to get rid of it and I cannot afford a new print system)

Does anyone use this kind of workflow?

I believe I'll have to build my layouts in Illustrator for printing so I can get the Summa marks on the sheet. Only thing I can think of being an issue would be difficulty with large file sizes and processing through Versaworks.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

This process should be pretty straightforward using Illustrator with Winplot(the included cutting program with the Summa). Here is the process -

• Apply Summa registration marks to your file in Illustrator using the free plug-in included with the Summa Cutter Tools(you can download here - https://www.airmark.com/pages/summacut-vinyl-cutter-downloads)
  • Send file to your Roland printer using Versaworks. Be sure to remove your output cutting device in Versaworks so that the RIP does not apply additional registration marks intended for use on your Roland.
  • From Illustrator, send your cut file to Winplot using the same plug-in included with the Summa Cutter Tools.
  • Send cut file to the Summa using Winplot.
If you notice an issue with larger .eps files you could try using .pdf file formats to reduce the overall file size. You could also create separate print and cut files to reduce the file sizes as well.

Feel free to PM me or send me an email to philj@airmark.com if you would like to pick my brain on this. Also, we offer Signs101 discounts on all of the Summa cutters as well. Let me know if you might like to see some of that pricing to compare it to what you have already received.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

White Haus

Not a Newbie
One other option (which comes with a hefty price tag) is to switch to Onyx which will allow your Roland and Summa equipment to play nice together.
We're still playing around with this ourselves but it is a little more complicated than you may be used to with Versaworks.
Having used Versaworks for the last 10+ years and now using Rasterlink and Onyx..... as much as I used to complain about it, Versaworks is by far the smoothest and simplest out of the bunch.

Goatshaver

One other option (which comes with a hefty price tag) is to switch to Onyx which will allow your Roland and Summa equipment to play nice together.
We're still playing around with this ourselves but it is a little more complicated than you may be used to with Versaworks.
Having used Versaworks for the last 10+ years and now using Rasterlink and Onyx..... as much as I used to complain about it, Versaworks is by far the smoothest and simplest out of the bunch.

I had thought about that but that is an expensive way to go. Originally I had planned on buying a Epson solvent printer along with it but not ready for that large of an investment yet. Plus I think versaworks is great. It's simple and straight forward to use and haven't had any issues with it.

rjssigns

I used to run an SP540V. Contour cuts on short runs were okay. Then I got a Summa. My advice? Buy a Summa. Do it!! Do it now! Guaranteed to stop your hair from going gray and falling out.;)

Goatshaver

I used to run an SP540V. Contour cuts on short runs were okay. Then I got a Summa. My advice? Buy a Summa. Do it!! Do it now! Guaranteed to stop your hair from going gray and falling out.;)

So I've been told by many! I mean I can get pretty decent cuts but round stuff kills me on my SP540V and the fact that I can cut at a much faster speed on the summa is a plus to finish jobs up quicker. I do a ton of contour cutting and perf cutting, in fact it's 99% of everything I do.

rjssigns

So I've been told by many! I mean I can get pretty decent cuts but round stuff kills me on my SP540V and the fact that I can cut at a much faster speed on the summa is a plus to finish jobs up quicker. I do a ton of contour cutting and perf cutting, in fact it's 99% of everything I do.

Another benefit of a Summa is long plots. I load mine, get it running, walk away and do other things.
No babysitting or wondering if it will eat the print.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Which Summa plotter do you guys run? Has anyone messed with it using Zund's software for registration marks? (Prep Center)

strypguy

I added the Summa D160 a couple of years ago. I have an SP300V and an SP540V. Such a great cutter and I can't say enough about how it has made my life as a sign and graphics guy so much easier. It cuts and allows you to easily weed some very small text and I love that as well. It has outperformed every other cutter I've owned. John

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Any input on the tangential knife? Also just a bump for the Zund software question, anyone use a summa side by side with a zund?