• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions SummaCut D140R or Graphtec FC9000? Perf Cut Adhesive Vinyl

StickerGuy83

What I need:

Perf cuts (clean & smooth), on self adhesive vinyl.
Will be custom shapes, not just circles or squares.
Sizing from 2" and up. (print and cut)

My question is, will the SummaCut D140R be able to handle this task?
Does the Flexi software allow you to run multi-pass, like the graphtec does?

I usually do one pass for kiss cut, two passes for a perf cut and they come out
really clean. With some minor pressure and blade depth adjustments, I can
fine tune it so they pop out nice and easily without damaging the blade or the
cutting strip.

Is this something that is going to be a problem with the Summa? I can get the
Summa D140R for a good price compared to the FC9000, but its useless to me
if it cannot cut through the backing.

Thanks for the help!

ikarasu

The summa doesnt recommend doing perf cuts on anything except for squares. That being said, I'm not sure how well/poorly it does -

one thing to consider is the summa does its perf cuts over the cutting strip...so if all your doing is perf cuts, you're going to mess up your strip faster than on the graphtec.

The 9000 is expensive because of the new arms system/take up options - IF youre not printing on reflective much, or doing full rolls... I'd look for an 8600, some dealers still have them and they;ll be cheaper than the summa is.

CanuckSigns

Never used a summa, but we do quite a bit of perf cutting on our graphtec fc8600 and it works well.

Use a 60 degree blade for the perf, we bought a second blade holder to do perf cutting with, makes it nice and quick.

Keep in mind that perf cutting is about 1/3 the speed of normal cutting, so if your plotter is a bottleneck in your workflow that could be an issue.

I think the summa can do die cutting & perf cutting as one operation, but the graphtec will do the die cut, then prompt you to change the knife over for perf cut, so it's not fully automatic.

StickerGuy83

Never used a summa, but we do quite a bit of perf cutting on our graphtec fc8600 and it works well.

Use a 60 degree blade for the perf, we bought a second blade holder to do perf cutting with, makes it nice and quick.

Keep in mind that perf cutting is about 1/3 the speed of normal cutting, so if your plotter is a bottleneck in your workflow that could be an issue.

I think the summa can do die cutting & perf cutting as one operation, but the graphtec will do the die cut, then prompt you to change the knife over for perf cut, so it's not fully automatic.

The speed isn’t a deal breaker. I just need to know it will be possible. I’m aware of the strip wear and that’s not a problem. I do perf cut custom shapes, usually not the traditional flex cut method with summa. I’m doing a straight line cut two passes with graphtec to get the result I need. It’s been working well for over a year now. But when I purchase the new printer and summa cutter I need it to do the same thing.