• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SummaCut D75 Contour cuts are off .

autoexebat

I just got this brand new today and I've noticed my contour cuts are off . I did the calibration but it didn't help anything . I'm scared to send my big 50 inch printed sheets to this cutter ..

Any tricks ? With testing such a small job I'd think it would be dead on . ?
Test material in a 24x12.

Thanks

Joe House

Try doing the calibration 2, 3 or 4 times. It seems to improve it's registration with repeated calibrations.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

What software are you using for design and for the cutting program? You shouldn't need to run multiple calibrations on a brand new cutter out of the box and I am guessing the software is causing the problems. If you can provide me with a bit more information on your process I should be able to give you a few suggestions to try to get your cutter cutting accurately.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Does it have OPOS? Are you using that with the Barcode? I have much better accuracy with the barcode setup vs. only using reg marks.

autoexebat

Does it have OPOS? Are you using that with the Barcode? I have much better accuracy with the barcode setup vs. only using reg marks.
Good morning,

What software are you using for design and for the cutting program? You shouldn't need to run multiple calibrations on a brand new cutter out of the box and I am guessing the software is causing the problems. If you can provide me with a bit more information on your process I should be able to give you a few suggestions to try to get your cutter cutting accurately.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

I am using Corel , I am cutting 13 mil material ... ATV / MX Graphics ... I don't think it this cutter is really setup for what I am doing , my local sales rep said OK , no problem it will cut it .

As I did another test run this morning, the medial bowed up in the middle due to the pressure on the blade cutting the thick material , blade comes around, cut right through the bowed area in the front , destroys the graphics .

Last edited:

autoexebat

20200902_105818.jpg 20200902_105828.jpg 20200902_105818.jpg 20200902_105828.jpg 20200902_105838.jpg 20200902_110038.jpg 20200902_110041.jpg 20200902_110045.jpg If anyone could help it would be great , Grimco tech support won't call me back and I can't send out jobs like this..

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that Grimco support won't call you back. Unfortunately that seems to be pretty common with the Summa cutters that they sell. Typically we would recommend the S2 T Series for this type of material and adding an extra pinch roller or two to the cutter will help keep the material down flat to the surface and prevent the bowing that you mentioned. You could try using a table on the front and rear of the cutter to reduce the weight of the sag and hopefully improve the tracking which seems the be the cause of the inaccurate cuts in this case. If you have any other vinyl materials you could try printing the same job without the thick laminate applied and see if the cutter is able to accurately cut the job. I suspect that it would cut accurately which would confirm that the D75-R is having difficulties tracking this heavier material.

Also, I would check and make sure you are using the thick materials blade and blade holder for materials that are thicker than 10 mil because the standard blade is not intended for use with materials that are thicker than 10 mil.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything that I can do to help or if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

autoexebat

Would anyone else have any idea how I can fix this issue ? I've done the media calibration / OPOS calibration , blade offset set correctly . Cutter reads all crop marks correctly , cut's fine but the cuts are off , not cutting where I set them in the program .

Joe House

Have you tried the thick material blade and blade holder as Phil suggested? If Grimco can't help, order those from Phill and see if that works.

autoexebat

Yes I have contacted Phil , sent him 2 messages today and haven't heard back . He told me I need to purchase a support package , No issue with that at all ...Kind of crazy to have to do this with a brand new machine but I don't care if it gets me up and going . I also asked him if I buy the support package and I still have the same issue is this a money back guarantee deal ?
Thanks

https://www.airmark.com/products/summa-55-thick-materials-drag-blade-holder

https://www.airmark.com/collections/accessories/products/summa-55-thick-materials-drag-blade-5-pack

MI Bearcat

Did you try cutting the same print without the laminate like he suggested? Will tell you if it's a tracking problem or something to do with the software/barcode.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's completely possible that the factory opos sensor position is off or moved during shipping etc. Only way to calibrate that is having a tech do it or with service menu and manual.

But it does look more like a movement issue. I would lower the default speed and acceleration and see if that helps.
Also activating barcode and using that as it has an additional measurement for barrel effect.

autoexebat

It's completely possible that the factory opos sensor position is off or moved during shipping etc. Only way to calibrate that is having a tech do it or with service menu and manual.

But it does look more like a movement issue. I would lower the default speed and acceleration and see if that helps.
Also activating barcode and using that as it has an additional measurement for barrel effect.

Thanks , I have the speed as slow as it can get . , acceleration ? I didn't see that in the menu anywhere .

Joe House

It sounds to me like you bought the wrong machine for the job you're trying to do. Will you be able to make it work? Likely, but not really the best tool.

I don't know what kind of conversation you had with your sales rep when you bought the plotter, but if you had mentioned this combination of material and laminate, I would have thought that the T series would be a better fit for the heavy duty work you're trying to do. If you had mentioned cutting this material, I would have another conversation with him and have him show you how it can work.

Good luck

autoexebat

Yes , Nick at Grimco knew exactly what I was doing , and he even called Summa directly to ask if the machine was able to do the work . They said yes .

As of now it is working , 90% of the contour cuts are off and I have to hand trim them .