Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SummaDC4 and Gerber Omega Software

Discussion in 'Summa' started by Skeezix, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Skeezix

Skeezix New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Playa Del Rey, California
    Sound dumb I guess but will a Summa DC 4 work with Omega Software? My Edge has 6600+ minutes on it and it from 1997 - I got it quite used, I am best with the Omega Software so there is the matter of an upgrade thet will be as pleasant as the Edge has been for the 5 + years i have had it...
    THX

Tags:
  2. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    I would imagine there are drivers for the DC4 with other software packages. From what Summa told me the factory software seems very capable and has a lot of neat features to it. I would contact Summa or Omega for sure. Check with their websites as well.

3. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

Simple answer, NO

4. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Not sure, but I'd suggest calling Summa and asking them. As a design program, no problem, but what I'd figure you'd have trouble with is the file extension. I've been looking at these, and it comes with it's own RIP (ColorControl), which accepts the following files: "EPS, PDF and all generic PostScript"

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    "Simple answer, NO"
    That figures.
    You should still be able to design in Omega and export to something like Corel and print from there.

6. Skeezix

Skeezix New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks Tony and all I'll do more research...

7. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You will not be able to drive a Summa from Omega.

You may be able to export your design out of Omega and into whatever software you get to drive the Summa. In particular, you may get very ggod results if you are using Omega 2.5 which has much better import export capabilities than previous versions.

My first recommendation to you is to open your mind to other design software. It will take some relearning but it is your best solution. If you are dead set on using Omega, then I would suggest that you approach it from a perspective of creating a file in Omega 2.5.1 and exporting it to PDF. Then send it to Summa and have them do a test print for you and send it to you.

8. Skeezix

Skeezix New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks Fred

9. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Hey Tony,
    Can Omega drive any equipment not manufactured by Gerber?
    I know it hasn't in the past but thought that might have changed over the last few years with the digital/printing explosion everyone is experiencing now.

10. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Mike, I design daily in Omega 2.1 and output as .eps directly to VersaWorx to my Roland SP-540V.

Much of my stuff, of course, gets designed in Omega, exported as .bmp to PhotoShop and output as .tif to VersaWorx.

If I need cutlines, though, I have to make a quick pit stop in Corel as there is no way to assign the cut command that Versa recognizes, in Omega. Bummer on that one.

11. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    The extra steps would turn me away if I was looking to purchase software.
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could print to your VersaCamm directly from Omega just like Flexi or SignLab.
    I think their slowly hurting themselves...