Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Solstice

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Si Allen, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice! The official start of Summer.

Is there a special way of celebrating?

I was wondering if it was like Festivus … where you needed an aluminum pole, or something.

I would hate to be the only one celebrating all wrong.

Tags:
  2. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Here in Orl., Fl. we have Dec. Jan. Feb. Summer solstice for me is just another day to enjoy

3. njshorts

njshorts Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Meadville, PA
    It's a signal of the 2nd month of suffering here in Tampa, Fl... so hot and humid...

4. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Isn't the solstice on the 21st?

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
  6. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Si is just celebrating early. Maybe a nice hat made of aluminum foil fashioned to focus the sun's rays to the brain?

7. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    I have wanted to go to New Hampshire to America's Stonehedge to watch all the people dressed odd throw corn or something around. I was on top of Mt. Philo a few years back and we watched a bunch of people dance around a little pyramid throwing corn at it. it was odd but kind of fun to watch

8. andy

andy Active Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Be up before dawn and watch the sun come up.

Solstice's don't mark ANYTHING in the Roman calendar.... Summer, June, July, August... these are all Roman concepts and the Druid religion is much, much older than even the Romans.

The summer solstice doesn't mark the start of summer... it marks the longest day. The Winter solstice marks the shortest day... technically this is the solstice you would celebrate if you wished to celebrate the coming of summer.

Stonehenge is neolithic.... people have been worshiping the sun and the solstice periods for thousands of years. Far from being a "stupid" hippy thing the solstice is a serious religious festival for people such as the Druids.

At stonehenge Druids dressed in White robes will watch the sun rise between the stone columns.... it's a spooky sight given that something similar has happened on the same sight for thousands of years.