• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Super Duty lifting

Hoze

Hi guys!

We print using the Avery 1105 & 1360 kit, installed on an F350 Heavy Duty. Everything seems fine, but the "Super Duty" letters keep lifting. I’m not an installer myself, but the person who did the installation said it was normal and that with heat and some poking, the vinyl should be fine. I followed these instructions, but after a week, it lifted again.

My question is: Is this something we can fix, or do we need to redo the whole hood? If so, do you have any tips for doing it properly so the vinyl doesn’t fail?

Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM (1).jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 113
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM (2).jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 105
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.45 AM.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 71
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.46 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-10 at 11.30.46 AM.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 80

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hi guys!

We print using the Avery 1105 & 1360 kit, installed on an F350 Heavy Duty. Everything seems fine, but the "Super Duty" letters keep lifting. I’m not an installer myself, but the person who did the installation said it was normal and that with heat and some poking, the vinyl should be fine. I followed these instructions, but after a week, it lifted again.

My question is: Is this something we can fix, or do we need to redo the whole hood? If so, do you have any tips for doing it properly so the vinyl doesn’t fail?

Thanks!
This is indicative of spanning, heating, and pressing in. They should have used adhesion promoter in those pockets if that's what they would do. I would say this will keep happening unless you redo the hood. You can also trim and patch in those letters if the client doesn't care.

signheremd

Sounds like it was not cleaned properly. A recess like that sound have been cleaned twice with alcohol. Also, was it post form heated after install? FWIW

Owen Signcraft

I also feel like this was wrapped over the entire area first, then pushed into the recesses with heat. I think you want to do the recesses as you come to them while the vinyl is still loose so the vinyl isn't begin overworked into the recess. There's a good video from CK Wraps here:
(its a bit long so skip to the 26 minute mark for the relevant stuff).

Hoze

Thank you all!
Seems pretty bad for me, priority is to keep customer happy, so after trying to fix it a few times, I will just re do the whole hood.
That being said, I do mostly wall wraps, so any advice to tackle this by myself?
Thanks

Did they post heat it after application? That is what I was taught to do by a colleague who does a lot of wraps.

Hoze

Yes, it was the first thing I tried, installer can't come to fixe it, so his suggestion was to heat, poke put pressure and get the air out, I've tried, but it keeps lifting, so I'd say I will have to re do the whole thing.

signheremd

Yes, it was the first thing I tried, installer can't come to fixe it, so his suggestion was to heat, poke put pressure and get the air out, I've tried, but it keeps lifting, so I'd say I will have to re do the whole thing.
Now I see this is the Hood and not the tailgate, so one thing to consider is the heat from the engine might be contributing to the failure. Not much you can do, but you can still find 3M Primer 94 - even 3M says you no longer need it, but this might be a good situation where it would prevent future failure.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Now I see this is the Hood and not the tailgate, so one thing to consider is the heat from the engine might be contributing to the failure. Not much you can do, but you can still find 3M Primer 94 - even 3M says you no longer need it, but this might be a good situation where it would prevent future failure.
Don't use primer 94 with Avery... it may have a bad reaction and cause adhesive to release from the carrier. Use ProBond instead.

Bxtr

Make sure you post heat it, you need to heat it to 200 degrees to give the vinyl new memory. We use a heat gun and a infrared thermometer. Like state above, use an adhesion promoter as well.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
one thing to consider is the heat from the engine might be contributing to the failure
That's a fact.
First things to fail on most wraps are roofs & hoods, especially with tricky profiles. Sun alone is a killer, add a hot engine and with some of the profiles and stamped lettering today...

Worst are vans with ribs on the roof with the sun beating on it all day, anywhere there's tension the sun will heat it up enough to release it if you don't lay it to account for all that extra heat. I will neither confirm, nor deny that I learned this the hard way when I was still learning ;)

truckgraphics

Or...Re-Wrap.
Remove the SUPER DUTY badge carefully, along with any other badges...But don't clean the adhesive...at least not well.
Re-wrap the hood.
Apply the badge over the old adhesive with two-sided tape. (That 3M VHB stuff or equivalent.)

Or just remove SUPER DUTY, clean the remaining adhesive and give the badge to the customer in a box (if it's ok with the customer.)

Christian @ 2CT Media

Or...Re-Wrap.
Remove the SUPER DUTY badge carefully, along with any other badges...But don't clean the adhesive...at least not well.
Re-wrap the hood.
Apply the badge over the old adhesive with two-sided tape. (That 3M VHB stuff or equivalent.)

Or just remove SUPER DUTY, clean the remaining adhesive and give the badge to the customer in a box (if it's ok with the customer.)
What badge?