• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Super slow processing speed on HP DesignJet z6810

KellyP12

Production Artist
Hey folks, I have an unusual problem both I cannot diagnose and neither can our IT guy.

We have installed Onyx Thrive RIP on both a local PC here at my office, as well as a virtual PC that is located off-site at our corporate office, but which I can access remotely and control. Our one z6810 is installed on both RIPs. From the local RIP, I can process prints from Onyx and boom, the uptake is lightning fast. I can hear the printer across the room kick into gear and it starts printing within a few seconds.

However, the SAME exact printer, from its installation on the remote copy of Onyx - it takes FOREVER - not to RIP the files, but to send information to the DesignJet. I sent 8 relatively small files to print via Onyx on the remote PC and when I walk over to the printer itself, I see a countdown on 'Processing.' These 8 files have been sitting in the queue, not printing yet, for over 17 minutes now.

It's also worth noting that the physical distance/miles between the corporate office and mine, where the remote RIP is hosted, should not be causing the issue. I say this because our other DesignJet, which is installed on the far-away RIP, prints just fine and has quick communication too. No lag when I send prints.

How can this be? The printer is connected via Ethernet to the wall and Onyx 'sees' both installations of it as valid, as it passes the 'Valid IP Address' test. Our IT guy has checked and all ports are unblocked where necessary. Why would one Onyx version communicate properly but the other wouldn't, to the same exact printer?

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When both the printers and the computer are in the same room, they are most likely on a gigabit network which is why they are fast when you print locally.

When you print to the printer at the corporate office from your office, technically you are just sending a file to that computer and the it RIPs and prints just like if you had done it locally which is why it's just as fast minus the little bit of time it takes to transfer the file to the computer.

When you login to the remote virtual computer to print locally to your office however, the remote RIP rips the file just as fast as usual but then has to connect to the printer over the internet. I'd be pretty surprised if you have gigabit internet and more likely are closer to 100 megabit. That alone will slow things down by a factor of 10.

When you login to the remote virtual computer to print locally to your office however, the remote RIP rips the file just as fast as usual but then has to connect to the printer over the internet. I'd be pretty surprised if you have gigabit internet and more likely are closer to 100 megabit. That alone will slow things down by a factor of 10.

It sounds like all the printers are in her local office... Why would one printer print lightning fast, and the other one would lag so long?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It sounds like all the printers are in her local office... Why would one printer print lightning fast, and the other one would lag so long?

Because the virtual PC is hosted at a different office. So even though OP is sitting in the same room as the printer, technically the computer they are on is in a different office connected by the internet. The RIP is trying to send the data through the internet, through the local PC, and then the printer.

But in reading her note - and KellyP12 might have to chime in - she is saying that she has two printers on that virtual RIP, both printers are in her office. One prints at normal speed, the other one lags tremendously. Unless I'm reading that wrong?

kanini

Maybe you could just file transfer the files to be printed to the local computer and RIP on that? That would speed up the process? I understand the issue that you have one Designjet on the remote PC that works fast and another also on the remote PC working slow but are they the same model of printers using the same ports?