Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supplier/Distributor Frustration

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Ginger, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Ginger

Ginger Guest

I am desperately seeking a supplier that will deliver to our shop with any kind of customer service. We are constantly searching for sheets of alumalite/econolite/nudo board of varying sizes and colors. No one seems to have anything other than 4x8 white. Our current options are:

Grimco - completely worthless
    Tubelite - completely worthless

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    try n.glantz and son or midwest sign and screen supply

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Grimco is awesome.. delivery free over 100 bucks... replace bad products.. no questions asked.. great group of people very friendly..

4. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    +1 for Grimco

saw ginger is not a fan of Gerber either... user error?

5. ABPGraphics

ABPGraphics Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    +1 Grimco

6. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Grimco isnt worthless.. at least not in Denver.. They even come in my office and chill at times.

7. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    The best company for substrates that I deal with is N. Glantz they carry dozens of different material at a very very low price. I happen to be on their delivery route so I only pay $3.00 for shipping no matter what I order.

http://www.nglantz.com/

8. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    +1 for Grimco

9. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Another vote for Grimco. Nothing but good to say about them.

10. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    Don't know exactly where you're located in Ohio, but N Glance delivers to the Youngstown area from the Pittsburgh location. We get deliveries twice a week here.

Dave

11. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Nothing bad to say about Grimco here. NGlantz is good also. Ships free to us once a week. I like free.

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Where in Ohio are you? I'm another Grimco fan, but we buy a lot from Laird Plastics as well. Been dealing with Grimco for years and years, they make mistakes like everyone else but they've always bent over backwards to fix anything wrong.

13. Ginger

Ginger Guest

I am located in West Central Ohio. We deal with Grimco out of Columbus, I should have mentioned that in my original post. I am sure the different Grimco warehouses vary on their customer service. Thanks to everyone for the alternatives!

14. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Neon Engineering in Cincinnati should deliver up your way also. Good service & product.

15. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    To make such a bold and mean statement, would you mind elaborating on what makes you believe these vendors to be worthless ??

Could it possibly be that your orders are not meeting minimums or you have too many restrictions, like shipping address or times of delivery ??

16. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm another shop in Central Ohio, what exactly are you looking for? I agree Grimco doesn't carry much in-stock of the special colors, etc. But they can always special order them. If you need more variety I would give Laird Plastics a call. http://columbus.lairdplastics.com/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=20&Itemid=67&MCU=49

17. Ginger

Ginger Guest

I apologize for coming off a bit strong, it is just frustrating getting caught between my supplier and my customer. At the moment I am looking for 5'x10' alumalite/econolite/alumacorr. Called Grimco October 28th, they didn't have it in stock, they were getting a truck in and could have it delivered to us on November 1st. If that wasn't the case they were going to call to let us know otherwise. No call. November 1st comes and goes, no Grimco delivery. Call November 2nd, they explain they can't have it until November 8th?! In the mean time I have already told my customer would be installed this week, sooooo... now I am stuck letting my customer down. I can certainly appreciate that no one is perfect, but this is getting to be a habit with many of our suppliers. If none of the warehouses want to stock colors or larger sizes they shouldn't put the stuff in their catalogs. I thought that was the whole purpose of the "warehouse", if all I ever wanted was 4'x8' of white I should just order a semi load from the distributor right?

Again, I appreciate the other suggestions and have made some phone calls already, you guys rock!

18. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Try Laird Plastics down here in Dayton, I'm almost positive they have it in stock, they always have in the past when I needed it. They don't deliver (for free) but when you're in a pinch they may be the best option, It's got to be less than an hours drive for you too.

Neon Engineering out of Cincinnati also delivers up this way twice a week, not sure if they go all the way up to you but would be worth a shot. They don't have an enormous stock of odd sizes but they have the basics. Laird tends to have some more unusual sizes at all times though. They're very competitive on pricing as well.

19. Brandon.McCarter

Brandon.McCarter Member

Dec 8, 2010
    getting those products in sizes other than 4x8 isint easy being that 4x8 is standard. the colors on the other hand arent that diffucult. I know tubelite in orlando stocks many colors and even has their own brand of alum composite but as of now is only offered in white. if they have it they can ship it to you.

20. Ginger

Ginger Guest

Upon further reflection, I don't mind what suppliers decide they want to carry, I just wish their catalogs correctly represented that selection, that is where my frustration comes from. More specifically, I call Laminators Inc, they say Tubelite of Columbus carries double sided Omega board, call Tubelite, they say they do not (despite it being in their catalog). I'm selling double sided signs... now what? I don't have time to call around all day trying to figure out where to order material. Grrrrr. Just frustrating, maybe it will get better if/when the economy comes back.