Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Supplier for Anodized Aluminum

Discussion in 'Materials' started by velocitygraphix, Jul 16, 2020.

1. velocitygraphix

velocitygraphix New Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Tennessee
    Hey everyone, does anyone know where I can find laserable anodized aluminum in 18x24 sheets or blanks in different colors? All my suppliers just carry 12x24 but I have someone wanting three laser engraved 18x24 in blue, red and black. I’ve searched but can’t find a supplier or anyone that offers that size anodized. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Gemini would probably produce this for you if it's not a typical stock product. I would hate to see the price comparison though...

3. guojianbin

guojianbin New Member

What are the process requirements and quality inspection of anodized aluminum sheet hard anodizing?

When we use the hard anodizing method, what are the technological requirements? How should the quality inspection of the finished product obtained by this method be carried out to ensure the quality? These two questions are about hard anodizing, and we are Before use, it should be understood, so that the hard anodizing method can be better used to obtain the desired effect.

1. Process requirements

(1) Acute rounding

It is required that the processed parts cannot have sharp corners, burrs or corners. Because anodizing takes a long time and the process is an exothermic process, these places are prone to accumulate current, so local overheating is prone to cause the parts to be burned. These places should be chamfered.

(2) Surface finish

If the surface of the part is relatively rough, it can become smoother after treatment, but for parts with higher surface finish, the finish will decrease after treatment, about 1-2 levels.

(3) The margin of part size

Generally, the thickness of the hard oxide film is relatively large, so if you need to further process or assemble parts, you should leave a certain machining allowance in advance to facilitate processing and meet the tolerance range. Generally speaking, the increased size of the part is roughly half the thickness of the oxide film.

(4) Special fixture

The fixture should be kept in good contact with the parts to avoid breakdown due to poor contact, or burns due to excessive current and voltage, so it is required to use a suitable special fixture.

2. Quality inspection

Appearance: There should be no scorched or easily stirred loose film, and the entire surface of the part must have an oxide film without any omissions.

Oxide film thickness test: Cut a transverse test piece from the part, and then measure its thickness under a full-phase microscope, or use an eddy current thickness gauge for testing.

Hardness measurement: Under normal circumstances, it is a section measurement.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Octolux