• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Supplier Help

reelguitars

I want to start making a few channel letters and I would like to know a supplier for the edge that holds the face of the letter on (forgive me...I don't the proper terminology for these parts yet). Also, where you can buy the strip leds. Heck, any help you give me will be appreciated. Thanks, David

Z SIGNS

Building channel letters is fun. Traditionally you needed a neon plant in your shop or a good relationship with one but now with the led's it's different and an opportunity for all.
Here's a checklist that might help you.You will need.

A sign designer experienced in strip mall signage
An understanding of basic sheet metal & channel letter fabrication.
A plotter or draftsman to make your patterns
8' brake
8' shear
Letter brake
band saw to cut your backs and faces(most use a cnc)
magnets and table to do your jewelite(could skip this and just use a board and finish nails)

Hand tools,Snips,notcher,drill,bits
rivets,rivet gun,square,resin bond.
a hammer for when things don't line up.

A good led supplier like sloan will help you with the illumination part.Send these folks your specs and they will give your their best recommendation as to what mods to use the spacing's etc

That's the fabricating part of channel letters the other side if you plan to install them as well is getting permits,ul stickers,engineer seals,electrician seals and so on.

Personally I think channel letters will be going out of style soon.I predict more "cloud signs" coming off cnc machines and populated with the latest and cheapest led's

Happy channel letter building