• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Supply Chain Issues

rjssigns

Heard on the morning news South Korea is reporting lots of cases of coronavirus. I'm wondering how that will affect sign makers. JetFlex banner and PhotoTex come from South Korea. Not sure what else.

Products from China is anybodies guess. Was thinking about getting some material while it's still on the shelf. Thoughts?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Was thinking about getting some material while it's still on the shelf. Thoughts?

If it's something you'll use, and you can sit on it for a while, it might be a good idea. Be cautious of price gouging as they begin to exhaust their supplies.

Three years ago when we had regional flooding in the southeast US, one of my key suppliers ended up losing their main factory. It took almost two years before they were able to get back into full production. In the meantime, I was forced to use alternative products that just weren't up to the level of what I was used to.

JB

rjssigns

If it's something you'll use, and you can sit on it for a while, it might be a good idea. Be cautious of price gouging as they begin to exhaust their supplies.

Three years ago when we had regional flooding in the southeast US, one of my key suppliers ended up losing their main factory. It took almost two years before they were able to get back into full production. In the meantime, I was forced to use alternative products that just weren't up to the level of what I was used to.

JB

My go to banner is JetFlex and I am testing PhotoTex right now. I can afford to sit on material. Better to pay carrying costs than turn clients away.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Heard on the morning news South Korea is reporting lots of cases of coronavirus. I'm wondering how that will affect sign makers. JetFlex banner and PhotoTex come from South Korea. Not sure what else.

Products from China is anybodies guess. Was thinking about getting some material while it's still on the shelf. Thoughts?

I have plenty of stock that's not Asian. Phototex alternatives, European banner, etc.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Today is the first time more new cases got reported internationally than from mainland China. I’m in the UK but there’s a good few European countries that have it now too. Thankfully we just switched supplies to one that makes their stuff in the UK. No worries here! Lol

Wondering if it’s time to start the doomsday prepping? Granted 2% mortality rate is rookie numbers when it comes to a pandemic. Not too scared of 1 in 50!

rossmosh

This issue will absolutely have an impact on supplies. China has been closed for business for something like 6 weeks. They're on lock down.

The only thing that might save us is the stock piling of goods due to the tariffs. Theoretically everyone is stocked/overstocked so hopefully it will minimize the effects.

Photo Tex Material - we have 2 containers on the ocean - 4 more leaving this month and plenty of stock !!!! Not cool trying to scare people into an order.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Photo Tex Material - we have 2 containers on the ocean - 4 more leaving this month and plenty of stock !!!! Not cool trying to scare people into an order.
Yeah we'll take that up with your dealers... They are all jumping on the cough cough, COVID-19 train. It's all political nonsense... Kind of hard to fear something that has effected less than 0.01% of the world's population. If this was that much of an pandemic risk the 2 neighboring countries with the highest population density and some of the worst public medicine in the world would have a higher infection rate... I'm mean seriously there are 3 billion people in close contact and a minimum of 60 days of infection time, all with less than 100,000 cases with a 1.97% death rate.

Val47

There is another thread related to this. Local communities are freaking out, not just in the supplies of vinyl and ventilating masks used in our field and many many other things related to our industry - but the smaller things. We use a lot of isopropyl alcohol for our regular production. cleaning substrates for direct print or mounting. We used to by it at Costco, but local shelves are empty now. Prices online are getting jacked up. Paranoia - absolutely, but it's real and its escalating. The reality right now, with soooo many supplies getting consumed (bought-up). It will get worse, but how much worse before it get's better? It will get better.

rjssigns

I was merely questioning what if any issues would be caused within the supply chain. No scare tactics involved whatsoever.
Then I figured why not lay in some stock just in case.

What I learned:
Instead of typing in bold with exclamations points and disagreeing with posts you could have posted you have no issues getting us what we need.

I was merely questioning what if any issues would be caused within the supply chain. No scare tactics involved whatsoever.
Then I figured why not lay in some stock just in case.

What I learned:
Instead of typing in bold with exclamations points and disagreeing with posts you could have posted you have no issues getting us what we need.

You could have done this by not naming specific brands and it is my job to inform the public that you were misleading. The bold type shows the passion I have for my product. Moving on , lets get through this together.