• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surf board prints

pensacolasign

Production Manager
I have a client that is a talented artist and wants to try and start adding his own artwork to the surf boards he is already creating. I have tried to research the materials they use/ printer setup people are using and have had little luck. Is there a manufacturer of the material that people are using that I should look for specifically? Laminate? Rice Paper? Also, I have latex and solvent printers at my disposal but could use a little direction on that as well. Any help would be appreciated.

SignManiac

I always airbrushed my own personal boards with 1-shot and then clear coated with urethane. If your laying down on newly shaped foam then I see no reason you cant lay your finish clear coat of resin on top of that.

MikePro

YouTube it. There's some great videos showing them laying a rice paper print on theboard, no adhesive, and sealing it into the board
during the resin process.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Isign will chime in from the birthplace of "the board that rides the surf".
He posted some here that he has done (I think).

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

He is an artist, already makes boards, and doesn't know this stuff?

What does he have in mind? Full wraps? or a few 12" logos?
How many? Fiberglass boards or epoxy?

For fiberglass, others are correct in simply laying printed rice paper in the resin... But silkscreen is the best method for printing! If he want full wraps though, I think epoxy boards could be wrapped... but the prints wouldn't be as durable...

I've done several partial board wraps, as well as silk screening thousands of rice papers... did manage to get some nice large format prints on rice paper off an old HP2500... but never could get my mimaki to print them without a ton of bleed in the porous paper...

Last edited: