• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surge Portection question.

Jim Hill

I live near the lighting capital of the world which is Tampa. Fla.

I have had the power company company come out and install a different type of meter that has special surge protection and it comes with something saying that if any equipment is damages it is covered up to around $10,000 dollars.

Now I know that to collect might not be to easy and that is why I want to ask others with expensive printers what they use to try and protect their equipement from spikes and power surges.

All of the computers, printers and everything else electrical has their own inline surge protector as well.

Every time I hear of someone frying a mother board for a printer with the cost around 1,300 for just the part I get crazy!!

I would like to hear how everyone else protects their equipement?

Thanks Jim Hill

Signguyno1

Sounds like meter has a lightning arrestor as well. Highly suggest everyone have an electrician install a lightning arrestor on your main electrical panel.

I have been hit twice, had arrestor installed. When hit the arrestor will reset itself and will be ready for the next hit.

mark in tx

I use a surge protector, but then I always unplug the printer from the wall when lightning is in the area.
Why take chances?

signs&designs

Gorilla

An electrician friend of mine says surge protection from lightning is like having a gorilla on a leash - you'd like to think you have control of it, but it's still a gorilla!

I've lost equipment 3 times from 3 different lightning entrys (power, phone, and 1 direct strike). Now I just unplug EVERYTHING. If it's a long storm, I have a generator I'll occasionally use.

GK

We have one from the power company on the outside of the building, and at the panel level on the inside of the building in addition to the surge protectors that the equipment is all plugged into. It's not practical to simply cease production every time a storm comes so multiple levels of protection were required.