• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surprise installation

mjkjr

Hi everyone,

I'm putting in a street sign for a friend as a surprise for her husbands 50th birthday. Their home is on its own road which is the same as their last name, but it doesn't have a sign yet.

My quesrion is this: I had the wife call dig safe and to mark the area, but she wants to keep it from ruining the surprise for her husband by telling him it is for something else, but we are not sure what would be passable? They are a few hours away so she has to handle it until I show up for the install on his birthday.

What do you guys think? The only birthdayy surprise signage I've ever done before were banners, which obviously doesn't have this problem.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried the search function and came up empty.

Thanks for your thoughts.

J Hill Designs

well, its not like the utilitys knock on doors and say 'it ok to put the street sign there'

they just survey and paint.

let the husband wonder

mjkjr

thanks

Thanks J Hill,

I think she is more worried about when she marks the area for dig safe.

I will probably tell her to do that when he isn't around and give her your advice anyway.

They are in a small rural town though, so she may also be worried about him going to chat with the utility workers about what is going on, not that we could easily get them in on it too or anything...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Have her tell him that it turns out their property is on top of an ancient burial ground and the she wants the city to do some digging before anything else falls off the shelves....

ToasTuk

If the area is only to be marked, then use a couple of paving slabs. She can say that she is planning something for the garden and wanted to see how it looks.
Half truth is more believable than a full blown.

mjkjr

:Big Laugh
Have her tell him that it turns out their property is on top of an ancient burial ground and the she wants the city to do some digging before anything else falls off the shelves....

Lol, very helpful, thanks :Big Laugh

ToasTuk, I like that idea, I'll pass that along to her, good point about half truths too, thanks.

Tim4

When dig safe marks the territory you are required to hand dig within three feet of the marked lines.

You are going to hand dig a hole and will certainly know if you approach a buried utility.

It is possible that you are over thinking this.

FS-Keith

When dig safe marks the territory you are required to hand dig within three feet of the marked lines.

You are going to hand dig a hole and will certainly know if you approach a buried utility.

It is possible that you are over thinking this.

I dont know your states rules but here we are not required to hand dig

mjkjr

I'll be putting in a post so I'll be using a post hole digger. Certainly don't want to discover a gas line that way.