• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surveillance Systems

Team Valhalla

Just curious what some may have... either business or home.

In the past month, I know of three people that have had their homes broken into and I'm wondering if it's time to install some type of surveillance system. I understand that it may not stop them, but at least may help catch them in the end.

Just some of the things I'm wondering about...

Remote?

What brand of system?

Number of cameras per footage?

Night vision?

Thanks in advance.

SP

signage

The most important thing is the clarity of the image if you want it to help catch them after the fact! And yes on night vision unless you are always home/there during dark hours. You also want a long enough record time as not to record over the incident.

401Graphics

My shop is below my apartment. I have a total of 11 cameras 3 of them inside the shop, 1 in the garage, and 7 outside. All have night vision. I'm running 2 separate DVR's, one has 4 inputs, and the other has 9. I have them connected to each other so i can see both on either system, and if one hard drive fails the other will still be recording.

Heres a couple of videos of stupid kids i have caught on video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kWcS5G47vc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRI-vZkA7L0

Team Valhalla

This would be for my home if I end up doing something... I don't know why, but I didn't even think of the inside camera - duh.

401, can I ask what brand/type of system you have? PM if necessary.

Cheap, thanks for the lead.

SP

401Graphics

This would be for my home if I end up doing something... I don't know why, but I didn't even think of the inside camera - duh.

401, can I ask what brand/type of system you have? PM if necessary.

Cheap, thanks for the lead.

SP
i got both systems on ebay. both are chinese brands (pretty much all of them are anyways). cameras are 420tvl resolution which is mid grade, and have infrared LEDs.

CentralSigns

Just curious what some may have... either business or home.

In the past month, I know of three people that have had their homes broken into and I'm wondering if it's time to install some type of surveillance system. I understand that it may not stop them, but at least may help catch them in the end.

Night vision?

Thanks in advance.

SP

357 Magnum, Colt 44, maybe a stubby 12 guage, all three security systems offer great piece of mind. Oh shout you mean cameras, good choice then you can be slightly forewarned when they come for your piece of mind.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have the same as 401 pretty much. Started off several years back with a 4 channel DVR. Eventually added an 8 channel giving us a total of 12 cameras scattered about the place. Ours are 2 different brands and a mixture of cameras as well. The older DVR is an Everfocus (these are actually decent with regular firmware updates), the newer one is a Zmodo which also seems to work just as well and supports a bit higher resolution and better compression since its much newer. Cameras are a mix ranging from the ones that came with the units to higher end Honeywell ones. Works well enough for our needs. There is even android iphone/ipad apps for both as well as web access. I use an android tablet and use a third party app called which works great and lets me monitor both DVR's on all channels. I'll check what one it is when I get home this evening and update with it. It supports a TON of different brand DVR's and single IP cameras as well.

The thing you will run into with IP cameras is the need for different ports (or separate public IP addresses for every one) if you want web/remote access. A DVR acts as a single controller for multiple cameras hence it only needs one IP address. Our internet service here includes 5 static IP's so I have one dedicated to the cameras and security system using just 3 ports which works great.