• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SUV that can haul a 4x8

bigben

So right now I'm using a gmc savana to carry my stuff. The truck is getting old and I'm looking for a change. I was wondering what kind of SUV could fit a 4x8 and tow a 3500lbs trailer? I don't want a minivan because I want a 4x4 or awd vehicle. I've tried to google it, but I did not found really good answer other than a subberban. What are your suggestions?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Suburban. I used one for years before getting my service body. I think it's the only SUV that when the seats are out is a 4x8. Only other thing would be Expedition XL but I'm not sure if the seats come out.

CanuckSigns

I think there is a 4wd version of the dodge grand caravan, which can fit a 4x8 in the back, best of all with the stow and go seats you don't need to remove them, they fold into the floor.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Might cost an arm and a leg but it is 4x4
RedTransitHero.jpg

With the high roof you might not be able to hit the drive-thru.
4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc.

wayne k
guam usa

So right now I'm using a gmc savana to carry my stuff. The truck is getting old and I'm looking for a change. I was wondering what kind of SUV could fit a 4x8 and tow a 3500lbs trailer? I don't want a minivan because I want a 4x4 or awd vehicle. I've tried to google it, but I did not found really good answer other than a subberban. What are your suggestions?

I know you don’t want a van, others might and our Mercedes Metris was surprisingly Inexpensive on a lease.
760036cdb448806a64341f20560f57e0.jpg
e2e96c6eaab87f0504bb4372879eeecb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigben

thanks all. But I'm really looking more for a suv than a cargo van. To clarify, it will be used for multi purpose. I dont carry 4x8 or large piece that often but would like to be able to do. I live in the countryside and the 4x4/AWD if very useful. Few times in a month, I have to bring customer with me to check on multiple locations of their business. Right now I take my personal car and sometime we will be 3 or 4 person. I'm planing to buy a audi TTRS that is really just a 2 places. So for all these reasons the SUV was my choice. Yes there is the subberban and expedition XL, but I was wondering if there was another option up there.

But If I had to buy a real shop truck, I would go with the mercedes metris.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
thanks all. But I'm really looking more for a suv than a cargo van. To clarify, it will be used for multi purpose. I dont carry 4x8 or large piece that often but would like to be able to do. I live in the countryside and the 4x4/AWD if very useful. Few times in a month, I have to bring customer with me to check on multiple locations of their business. Right now I take my personal car and sometime we will be 3 or 4 person. I'm planing to buy a audi TTRS that is really just a 2 places. So for all these reasons the SUV was my choice. Yes there is the subberban and expedition XL, but I was wondering if there was another option up there.

But If I had to buy a real shop truck, I would go with the mercedes metris.

I know you mentioned hauling a 4x8 AND tow 3k lbs but you also say that you only haul signs a few times a month.

One thing I did was got a 6'x10' trailer and hauled all my signs and stuff around in that. I picked up a brand new one up a few years ago for $1k. Cheap solution for hauling signs and it would free you up to get whatever vehicle you like... Only drawback is you can't tow two things at once but seeing as it's only a "few times a month" maybe that would work? This solution worked for me except for the times I had to haul signs AND the tow-able man-lift, but I would either make two trips or have my help drive the other vehicle.

bigben

I know you mentioned hauling a 4x8 AND tow 3k lbs but you also say that you only haul signs a few times a month.

One thing I did was got a 6'x10' trailer and hauled all my signs and stuff around in that. I picked up a brand new one up a few years ago for $1k. Cheap solution for hauling signs and it would free you up to get whatever vehicle you like... Only drawback is you can't tow two things at once but seeing as it's only a "few times a month" maybe that would work? This solution worked for me except for the times I had to haul signs AND the tow-able man-lift, but I would either make two trips or have my help drive the other vehicle.

I already have a closed 6x10 trailer. But when I've got delivery/install downtown, that is 70% of my delivery, it's not ideal for parking (need to find two spaces for the truck and trailer).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I already have a closed 6x10 trailer. But when I've got delivery/install downtown, that is 70% of my delivery, it's not ideal for parking (need to find two spaces for the truck and trailer).

Oh yeah downtown's can be pain...luckily that rare for me.

bigben

Chevy Avalanche

That was my first idea and it fit very well. But they are very rare here and the model is getting old. So I only found them with over 160000km on them. I would like something "newer". I don't think there is another manufacturer that make something similar.

OzarkDigital

Guys: We just bought a Ford Transit 250, high roof Cargo van.. It can hold a 5x10 sheet EASY! And at 6-foot tall, I can stand straight up inside. LOVE IT! WAY better for business than a $50K-Suburban, and we get 15-16MPG depending on load. Bought it for $31.7K out the door from a fleet dealer in Kansas City (Midway Ford) who ONLY sells to legit businesses. Ma and Pa Kettle who walk in are booted out. Ask for Chris Parrish. Unbelievable sales support. They're only 3 miles from the main US Ford Transit Van factory in Kansas City! Midway Ford Truck Center | New Ford dealership in Kansas City, MO 64161

AMAZED at the price ... and the entire transaction was done on email and a wire transfer. Went to pick it up, only took (literally) 12 minutes. "Sign here, here's the keys, any questions?" NOPE, I know how to read the doggone owners manual!

It's a "wrappers dream" with mostly smooth sides. We got the version with a factory window in the sliding door.

Dennis