Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVG files not converting correctly

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by michsanford, Sep 26, 2018.

1. michsanford

michsanford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Gastonia, NC
    I am having issues with Onyx opening files from AI incorrectly.

I have attached pics of my .ai file and then the way Onyx Cut Server opens it.

What am I doing wrong?

It looks as if it isn't welded in Onyx, but it is in AI.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. brycesteiner

brycesteiner Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Ohio
    That's pretty typical of Adobe files no matter what RIP does it. Did you already convert to curves (outlines)? You may need to weld them together in Illustrator.

3. michsanford

michsanford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Gastonia, NC
    They have been converted and welded.

4. Quark

Quark Member

Aug 20, 2014
    MI
    obviously, not. Is there an additional un-welded outline in play?

5. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    AI files aren't meant to be used as production files, even if some RIPs support them. You should be using PDF or EPS, and that might solve your problem.

Occasionally AI files will produce unexpected results in non-Adobe apps, because an AI file typically has two copies of the artwork in it, one coded for Illustrator, and a PDF copy for linking with other Adobe apps. Neither of those two formats inside your AI file are meant to be used outside of the Adobe universe.

6. michsanford

michsanford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Gastonia, NC
    Onyx cut server will ONLY open SVG files.

7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Instead of looking at the .ai file, what does the exported SVG file look like brought back into Ai?

8. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm not familiar with Onyx. Based on your first post, I thought you said you were loading .AI files into Onyx. I was wondering why you mentioned SVG in the title.

I'm happy to take a look at your AI and SVG files if you want help solving the problem.