• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Swabbing the Printhead 1204

westpointsigns

I just upgraded from a Falcon Outdoor to a 1204 and would like to know what is the best way to swab the printhead?

There is really not much clearance anywhere and I don't want to mess up my new investment.

:help

thewvsignguy

In the two years we have had our 1204 I have never cleaned the head directly. I do clean around the head, the silver part in the front and the back, then the Black parts to the left and right of the head.

I swab the rubber around maintenance station, the wiper and clean out the "chute" where the wasted ink drips in the tray.

The one time I did accidentally "swipe" the bottom of the print head I had to do head cleanings for a half hour to get a good nozzle check back, never again.......

Do not touch the nozzles on the bottom of the head. Lay a piece ov vinyl over your pinch rollers. Put the head in the high position. Manually move the head over the vinyl. Now you can swab the back and front. Clean the channel to the left and right. Inspect with a flashlight.

westpointsigns

Great advise.

Sorry, I was talking about swabbing around the head not the head directly I made that mistake before with the Falcon.

Thanks all, your help is very much appreciated.

FatCat

Do not touch the nozzles on the bottom of the head. Lay a piece ov vinyl over your pinch rollers. Put the head in the high position. Manually move the head over the vinyl. Now you can swab the back and front. Clean the channel to the left and right. Inspect with a flashlight.

Also, make sure to do the bottoms and sides of both ramps to the left and right of each head. Those can build up ink over time and cause problems too. After you're done always inspect for a flashlight especially looking for any dust/hairs/lint around the head, ramps or edges that can wick ink and leave spots on your prints. Lastly, don't forget to keep the cap gasket and wiper blade/drain channels clean and free of dried ink, sludge, etc.

Here is a pretty good video showing the procedure, but I agree with DSD about laying a piece of scrap vinyl over your pinch rollers to avoid getting solvent/ink mess on those instead of what they show here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8M0_axubs