• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sweet holy mother....

ucmj22

....Of digital vector art! I've been messing with this off and on all week, and I'm still not happy with it.

I'm sure most of you are not familiar with the State Seal of Illinois, but apparently the first image is is "Oficial"... looks like a 7th grader did it. the wings are all muddled together, the tail feathers look like a crap log, there are strokes on top of strokes to change the weight, and the eagle looks like he is wearing a Blagojevich head piece. I needed a black and white cuttable version for a client who is going to etch it in to concrete. Not wanting to go off the "oficial version, I started looking for an already B&W version. I didnt have much luck with that, but I did find this image (image 2) of what I think is an early engraving of the seal. I liked it better than the others so I got started. I'm still not happy with the head, but i'm running out of patience. if anyone wants it when I'm done, let me know.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-22 at 4.58.42 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-22 at 4.58.42 PM.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 186
  • Screen shot 2012-03-22 at 4.59.16 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-22 at 4.59.16 PM.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen shot 2012-03-23 at 11.05.07 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-23 at 11.05.07 AM.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 82

SignManiac

You need to work on some of the rope links where the weight varies on them. I like it better than the first one which looks very clip arty.

ucmj22

You need to work on some of the rope links where the weight varies on them. I like it better than the first one which looks very clip arty.

I changed the weights on the rope to try and give it depth from light direction. it's easy enough to change it back to uniform, just takes a while to make them varied.

idsignsil

Man, I hope this is a good client or they are paying for all the design time. Sorry the seal I had was not much help, but like I said we always print it and that is the art that was given to us by the state....which means they actually paid someone to make that with all of those strokes. Anyway, I would not mind having one that could actually be done in cut vinyl, if you don't mind sharing.

ucmj22

Man, I hope this is a good client or they are paying for all the design time. Sorry the seal I had was not much help, but like I said we always print it and that is the art that was given to us by the state....which means they actually paid someone to make that with all of those strokes. Anyway, I would not mind having one that could actually be done in cut vinyl, if you don't mind sharing.

No worries I just couldnt see putting a 3 Ft. seal on a floor that looked like dog doo, even if it is oficial :). when I get done with it i'll send it over, it wont be oficial, but it will look better. im remaking a new head based on a real eagle right now, I hate the one in the pics.

rjssigns

Hopefully your contract states that you own the rights to the perfected artwork unless other arrangements have been made. If I take a piece of doggie doo and make it into usable art I get paid for that. If they want it for whatever they then have to buy it outright. Got burned on that a while back.

jkdbjj

Good job man, that stuff is not for inpatient people. I did a job recently for an amusement park. What I was supplied was 14 small scans of original Charles Schultz Peanut comics. They were to be made into 5'x? back-lit signs. So of course we had to vectorize them, send for approval, tweak, approval, tweak, approval etc...

What technique do you use? We just used Illustrator and customized various live traces.

ucmj22

I have the actual state seal already vector if you need it.

:omg: vector dog doo, or vector nice nice? I already have a vector dog doo.
here it is with the new head

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-23 at 4.10.03 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-23 at 4.10.03 PM.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 160

Smacka

It may be doo doo compared to your new illustration. It came on a CD with all the state seals. Looks pretty much like the first picture you posted.

TammieH

I use the must have had it locked or on a hidden layer all the time...they are excellent excuses! LOL