• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

switching media

CheapVehicleWrap

Home depot site is DOWN. 380 is great stuff, but the lam is nowhere near as shiny as the 180. You know what I always say... CHEAP is the way to go. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.

Premier Wraps

We have not been using the primer. We were a little put off by the idea when it was first brought up to us since we were already paying a premium for the vinyl, we didn't understand why we had to buy an adhesive promoter and spend the extra time painting it on. I've got 2 cans in the shop though. Guess I need to break them out. I just figured we would only have use it on deeper or wider than normal chanels.

What a great post. And no. I'm not being sarcastic. I don't understand primer either. Stuff is a joke.

k6media

Honestly.... We have now down over 200 wraps with Avery.. and despite what some
Might say... We absolutely love it. I prefer it over 3m ij180cv3 Any day of the week.

k6media

Oh and by the way. Primer94 is an after thought brought from a completely different department. I feel that it has been chosen as a temporary attempt to fix a product that isn't performing as well as it should

Primer 94 has cost us a fair amount of money on removals, and we now refuse to use it. The performance we have gotten is fantastic with Avery and is way faster to install.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
the price savings is substantial, and we have been having some problems with the 3M 180 lifting in channels. Our supplier said that if we use the avery 1005EZ and the DOL 1460 overlam, avery guarantees it to not lift in channels.

I'm not sure what you consider "substantial" but for me they are less than $100 difference for a 150' Kit.
I've tried the big 4 (sorry mac tac) and must say 3M & Avery are neck and neck if I had to choose. Orajet & Arlon's adhesive is way too aggressive making installation more work compared to 3M & Avery. Including Arlon's "new & improved lower initial tack".
All these guys who are mad about something Avery did to "their" industry probably have no problem whatsoever buying 90% of everything else in their shop that's MADE IN CHINA! There's always a bigger picture when talking about economy & "our" industry. So the little guys buy affordable so they can make money while supporting China rather than USA (or Canada). I know I can't afford to only buy American...for now. Wait...is this a different thread now? Sorry guys.

Premier Wraps

Honestly.... We have now down over 200 wraps with Avery.. and despite what some
Might say... We absolutely love it. I prefer it over 3m ij180cv3 Any day of the week.

Amen. We do close to 100 wraps a year with Avery. And have not one failure. I've been lucky enough to see our stuff a year or so later on a few vehicles and they're still perfect (with no 94). We even offer a life-time installation warranty on our wraps. Call me crazy, but our wraps don't fail. Period. In fact a lot of our customers are friends with me on Facebook. I have nothing to hide about our wraps. I encourage new/potential customers to talk with our existing customers about the quality and if there's failures. Never once have I heard it's picking up here in the corner, or it's lifting in this area.

We just installed two wraps for a company that were printed on 180cv3 and it was like putting down card board. No wonder they ask for 94 around deep areas or corners. The stuff has no pliability in it. There's no give. The day we were installing our 3M rep happened to stop by. I had him feel the difference between his product and Avery. Even he could tell what I saying about the pliability in the two vinyls. Then to top it off the Avery vinyl is whiter then the 3M. (Going back to my conventional offset days, white base equals brighter colors.) Showed him right there. He was kinda shocked we took him to school, but was thankful he got to see, hold, feel, etc his competitors product. He even stuck around and ate lunch with us.

jbogart

We started out using the 3M, then switched to the Avery for a while and LOVED it. Then we got several rolls in a row that seemed to have surface or coating defects. Partway through a long print run, we'd get spots or dropouts - areas where the solvent inks just weren't adhering to the vinyl. We switched back to the 3M and have had no problems since.

sar bossier

we use the Avery. works like a charm. Don't have problems with channels, i guess it's because we install it right. The savings isnt huge... just a cpl hundred bucks

but we still use a ton of 3m, just don't like the company, which is why we are using other material.

+++1 - We made the switch a couple of months ago for wraps, and the differences are IMMENSE! I know why the older companies bash them ... I personally LOVE the Avery 1005 EZ, and have had far less trouble with it than any of the 3M stuff, or even the Rapid air 3951 by Oracal. Between the ease of installation, the stretch capability without distortion, and deep channel conformity, you can't get better. IMO ...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Amen. We do close to 100 wraps a year with Avery. And have not one failure. I've been lucky enough to see our stuff a year or so later on a few vehicles and they're still perfect (with no 94). We even offer a life-time installation warranty on our wraps. Call me crazy, but our wraps don't fail. Period. In fact a lot of our customers are friends with me on Facebook. I have nothing to hide about our wraps. I encourage new/potential customers to talk with our existing customers about the quality and if there's failures. Never once have I heard it's picking up here in the corner, or it's lifting in this area.

We just installed two wraps for a company that were printed on 180cv3 and it was like putting down card board. No wonder they ask for 94 around deep areas or corners. The stuff has no pliability in it. There's no give. The day we were installing our 3M rep happened to stop by. I had him feel the difference between his product and Avery. Even he could tell what I saying about the pliability in the two vinyls. Then to top it off the Avery vinyl is whiter then the 3M. (Going back to my conventional offset days, white base equals brighter colors.) Showed him right there. He was kinda shocked we took him to school, but was thankful he got to see, hold, feel, etc his competitors product. He even stuck around and ate lunch with us.

You sir...are Crazy. :)

k6media

Kentucky Wraps said:
Why do you prefer it?

1) easier to pull the backing

2) not as aggressive on the initial tac

3) more pliable

4) no need for 3m primer. I absolutely hate 3m primer with a passion.

5) far less failures. I can feel confident in problematic areas that we aren't going to have failures.

6) faster to install. I would say it takes 15-20% less time to install over 3m. We have 4 people in our shop that do installs and they will all say the same.

7) I would say the key selling point for us.. Is confidence. You can install in a much better rhythm because the product performs so well.

Hands down our favorite product to install.

ucmj22

We have now tried the 1005 ez rs with the DOL 1360 and also the 1460 laminate. We loved the 1360, Great gloss, and easy to handle. We also tried the 1460 when I checked out the trailer at the end of the day, I thought they had used a matte laminate, but it was the 1460 they said it was a bit harder to use especially in the heat we are dealing with but I kind of expected that since it is only 1 mil thick. I put on a panel and they were right, it was very easy for the corner of the squeegee to catch and pull even with the felt wrapped squeegees we use. I can see how it would work well in a better environment and on complex curves. As stated by others it is easier to remove from the backing. The adhesive was low tac enough to be forgiving on initial lay out but strong enough after application to leave me confident it wouldn't come back up. Luckily the low gloss 1460 works for the trailer we just finished because we had been debating using a matte laminate anyway since there was a paper background and texture in the design. All in all I think we will order some more. I apologize to the people burned by Avery, and have my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to me.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I know they place a premium on the cost of the IJ380 and matching 1mil lam but how does it stack up to the Avery?

Premier Wraps
does that lifetime extend to the window perf part of your wraps?
If so what material do you use?
I can't get more than 24months out of it here using the best Clearview or 3M using a quality cast laminate over the top.

wayne k
guam usa

cdiesel

380 is not necessarily for complete wraps. For us, it's TOO soft, and just melts when you pull the liner. Works good on small, super complex areas, but in the overall scheme of things it's not dimensionally stable enough. 380 just doesn't compare to other standard wrap films--totally different animals.

I can think of one more reason to look at films other than 3M...

Premier Wraps

I know they place a premium on the cost of the IJ380 and matching 1mil lam but how does it stack up to the Avery?

Premier Wraps
does that lifetime extend to the window perf part of your wraps?
If so what material do you use?
I can't get more than 24months out of it here using the best Clearview or 3M using a quality cast laminate over the top.

wayne k
guam usa

We actually use Solvex window perf and Avery's window laminate. Can't think of the number right now. Don't offer warranty on the windows. But do tell the customer it's not going to last as long. We try to design in solid colors or at least a lot of ink on or windows to get them to last a bit longer. I'll back up the installation. Not the print though.

And we never use 94. Like was said earlier. If it's installed correctly (including prep/super clean) and post heated it's not going to fail. We only use 1060 (2.1) Have tried the 1360 (1.3) a few times during their beta testing and it's just to thin for warmer climates. When you use as much as we do you just know what it can and can't do when it comes to intallation.