• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

switching to CMYKlmlcWW (need function keep help)

artbot

mimaki newbie here...

currently i'm running SS2 CMYKlmlc (flush cartridges in open spots) on a jv3 160sp.

adding two white cartridges to the set. i can't find the "choose ink type" portion of the function panel.

is the choose ink only after a head wash procedure has been done?

thanks,
alan

ColesCreations

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SWITCHING TO WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That get your attention?

It's crap.

It's expensive as 4 letter word starting with F, ending with xxk

It clogs up your dampers if you're lucky, the print head if not.

Even Mimaki does not push it in their ads anymore, that reason good enough?

You will almost never need it, the few jobs that need it, you can make do with white vinyl or tell the customer its impossible, or get someone to print it with a Summa or Gerber.

Did I mention? Don't even think about it! Go to Dual CMYK instead. It's not a fine art printer, will never be, you don't need lclm...

And by the way, you can trick the printer while flushing, to prevent it from using up all the washing fluid and ink, just remove the suction hose to the pump... Removing the chip from an ink cartridge makes the printer think it's a washing cartridge. Just make sure the color is clean before selling prints. (no color correction, print stripes of each of ther 4 colors to make sure they're correct)

(We had white in our new JV3-160SP, I know what I am talking about.)

I've heard similar horror stories about the white ink. Plus 1 on the dual CMYK... not having to worry about running out of ink in the middle of a print is a greater benefit than having a slightly improved color gamut in my opinion.

artbot

i've been running white for more than ten years. with an old encad 505 on a giant ramp printing on 5x10 aluminum. then a roland fj50. way before mimaki or roland introduced white. so i know a lot about white ink. i'm not running through the system. i'm replumbing my new/jv3160sp and will be running white and other opaques from outside the main print lines. i just like the firmware recognizing white instead of work arounds. and i use white in almost ever piece i print. mostly print on aluminum and veneer.

the lmlc will be isolated later as well in ergosoft texprint as spot ink printheads as well. and i did finally figure it out. but should have put in dummy cartridges with the lclm chips on them so i wouldn't have thrown away ink.

but... still. thanks for the fair warning. i'll keep the white print heads really clean just in case with both forward and reverse fluid cleaning.

ColesCreations

OK, use chips that never go empty, (reset every time you turn on the printer).

Switching ink setup is easy, it's in the manual. Just unplug the pumps to keep it from flushing out the good ink.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about :beer