• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

swithching ink to 3rd party ink?

decaljunkie

I have a Mutoh Falcon outdoor ll also known as the Rockhopper.Someone told me if i switch ink from OEM to 3rd party ink i need to do a flush then start using the 3rd party ink. do i need to do this? If so can i flush out just one color instead of all the colors at the same time. Reason for asking is that i still have some full cartridges of OEM mutoh inks and want to use them before switching but i am out of magenta. and want to put a 3rd part ink cartridge in the magenta then when i run out of the other color start using 3rd party inks on the rest of the colors. hopefully this makes sense. any advice is appreciated

LFC911

who's ink is it? Some inks are formulated to be plug and play behind OEM but need to be flushed behind other 3rd party inks. Call the mfg just to be sure.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Good day,

Three ink manufacturers you should look into. Bordeaux, Nazdar and Triangle. Nothing else. ;) opss

We, located in S. California, carry Bordeaux inks for your printer. Order today to arrive tomorrow.

$74.00 each 440ml ink cartridge or $84.00 each liter but requires to buy one-time refill cartridge($25.00). No need to flush the system. Plug and play & print with Mutoh ink cartridges.

Mutoh Falcon
http://www.premiercolour.com/falcon-outdoor-2/

Mutoh Valuejet
http://www.premiercolour.com/mutoh-valuejet/

Roland Versacamm
http://www.premiercolour.com/versacamm/

Roland Soljet
http://www.premiercolour.com/soljet-pro-iii-xc-xj/

Premier Colour
t: 949-209-7306
sales@premiercolour.com

signguy54

Not an artist
premier colour

I'm east coast but get my ink there. good to work with. help with technical issues. Francis is a good guy. Highly recommended.

btw, bulk ink has saved me thousands.

player

This thread is a spammy commercial. My Roland tech says he is constantly fixing machines from problems with 3rd party inks. They are not the same. So when you factor in the extra ink they use, the parts they eat AND the cost of down time and ruined material they cost you more according to him. I am just giving the uninitiated the other side of the equation.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
This thread is a spammy commercial. My Roland tech says he is constantly fixing machines from problems with 3rd party inks. They are not the same. So when you factor in the extra ink they use, the parts they eat AND the cost of down time and ruined material they cost you more according to him. I am just giving the uninitiated the other side of the equation.

Thank you for providing a different aspect of 3rd party inks related statement. To be fair, please point out, if you would find out from your tech, who was providing such bad product and service so people who wanted to try 3rd party ink would avoid crossing them. Helping people, helping us(premiercolour), helping yourself saving the time posting.

:thumb:

player

He told me he has about 400 machines he services. He sees problems from 3rd party inks.

I will absolutely vouch for his abilities and integrity. He has sorted out problems with my machine that 3 other techs couldn't. He is very honorable, and I trust him when he says 3rd party inks don't pay when you consider all the variables including down time and lost production.

One thing he said is that Roland printers sense the different inks (He told me how but I forget) and use up 20% more ink in cleaning cycles than original Roland inks.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
He told me he has about 400 machines he services. He sees problems from 3rd party inks.

I will absolutely vouch for his abilities and integrity. He has sorted out problems with my machine that 3 other techs couldn't. He is very honorable, and I trust him when he says 3rd party inks don't pay when you consider all the variables including down time and lost production.

One thing he said is that Roland printers sense the different inks (He told me how but I forget) and use up 20% more ink in cleaning cycles than original Roland inks.

1. He still hasn't told you which 3rd party company it is
2. Remove chip from a Roland ink cartridge, put that onto any bulk ink system or refill cartridge. If you don't have that chip, cleaning cycle is not just 20%. I would say more than 70%.

FatCat

Nonsense. Stop and think about it - a "Roland" tech telling you you shouldn't buy anything but "Roland" ink? Hmmm...

I am not here to defend all 3rd party inks, because I honestly don't know all of them and I am sure some are better/worse than others. However, if you talk to those in the industry who have been using 3rd party for a while in their machines you will more than likely find out they are very happy and haven't had much, if any problems from switching. Most of the rumors spread around the net and by technicians (melted lines, clogged heads) are results of older ink sets who used hotter solvents in eco machines - or cheap, crappy inks that had very large pigment particles that ended up clogging nozzles. Most of those are no longer in business, or have discontinued those inks. There are several companies out there making quality inks that are near identical to OEM at a fraction of the price. I for one have saved thousands of dollars switching to 3rd party.

Do as you please, believe as you please but please don't spread myths or half-truths. I have personally run 3 printers on 3rd party ink for the last 3-4 years and my only regret is not doing it sooner.

TheSnowman

I ran Bordeaux inks for 5+ years in my Mimaki JV3 and never had to replace a head. I've ran Triangle for 2 years in my JV33 and I'm about to change the head because I had a nasty head strike that I'm still kicking myself for. Same ink, different stink.

Rocket Designs

Bordeaux works Great From My experience - XR-640 Stinks

Hmm, Roland Shirt on? I have used Bordeaux for 3 years with zero issues in my xc-540. I bought a xr-640 and it is nothing but problems. It can not print Red worth a sh** , nearly every color is grainy and modeling. If the xc wasn't already sold I would defiantly keep it over the xr. Instead it looks like its time to go in a different direction. The xr is not ready for people who can not afford the time or trials of doing your own profiling. My XC has never had an issue with the color, cleaning etc and it is better color since the ink change as well as saving 3 or 4 grand a year in ink!

Mosh

I run Triangle inks in my Roland and love the fact they are almost half OEM inks. That being said they do not dry as fast and I find I am doing manual cleanings more, especially the magenta. But all in all worth the savings, been doing it for about three years now.

LFC911

Does not seeing red have you seeing red?...

Hmm, Roland Shirt on? I have used Bordeaux for 3 years with zero issues in my xc-540. I bought a xr-640 and it is nothing but problems. It can not print Red worth a sh** , nearly every color is grainy and modeling. If the xc wasn't already sold I would defiantly keep it over the xr. Instead it looks like its time to go in a different direction. The xr is not ready for people who can not afford the time or trials of doing your own profiling. My XC has never had an issue with the color, cleaning etc and it is better color since the ink change as well as saving 3 or 4 grand a year in ink!
Got this from Roland a while back...have you done a VW update lately? Red is a color we always use as a measuring stick. The RVW-PR43K spot color
does a great job creating what we call “red” on all of our printers. But even
in the best scenarios, spot colors will shift from media to media, from printer
to printer, and from profile to profile. There are just too many factors at
play to have a perfect match in every situation. We saw this happen in the red
spot colors from a Pro III XC-540 to a Pro 4 XR-640 device when printing
on glossy vinyl.
Another way to achieve the desired
color is to create an ICC profile. For this particular scenario, we’ve created
a GCVP version 2 profile that allows for richer reds. The profile will be added to the next RVW update.