Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synhthetic ice for curling / possible to place vinyl on it ?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by MBO_1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. MBO_1

MBO_1 New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Belgium
    I have a customer asking to put coloured vinyl (shape of a circle with a dot) on synthetic ice panels.
    Is it possible ? (see attached file)
    a) in a way that the vinyl stays attached
    b) and is not destroyed by skating on it ?

Attached Files:

2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    That stuff is UHMWPE/HDPE. any graphic that has any chance to stick to it in the first place, will change the surface texture from "ice" to eventual shredded plastic & goopy adhesive :)

you would need to put it under the top layer, like in real ice rinks.... they don't just slap stickers on the ice and play hockey, they paint the floor and freeze ice over the top of the graphic.

also, the white panels might be too opaque to see a 2nd surface application BUT any plastic that comes in white, usually comes in a .....clear? if so, you could suggest laying clear synthetic ice over the top of whatever you want and fill the rest with a white background.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would doubt it...and they don't wear skates but it still probably wouldn't work. I would look at some suppliers of synthetic ice surfaces and see if they even offer graphics.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Are they trying to train the curlers on a handicapped course? MikePro is right, anything you put down will change the texture, making a stone slow down when it hits the target areas. Or worse, it could get brushed clean off!
    On second thought, there is no way this is for curling, is it? I mean, do the brushes work the same way on fake ice? I love watching curling. Get a beer and chuckle an afternoon away watching people play super seriously. There's a documentary on Netflix, I believe, about the first guy to intentionally hit other players stones, and he revolutionized the game, to the point they had to make new rules or some jazz.