• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

T160 Problem

Bly

I don't know how long is your experience on tangential cutters, I can only tell you they are much more sensible to the user settings, expecially the knife depth, than drag cutters. This is the reason because many have asked you to verify it.

Can you tell us which components have been replaced by the technician? The entire tangential head or others?

Yes I'm aware.
As stated in my original post, the knife depth and pressure seemed fine at the start of each job, then after running for a while you could hear the tool being mashed into the vinyl much harder, ruining the job. There is clearly a fault with the machine.

I'm not sure exactly what the tech has swapped - I think it's been a process of elimination.
He did mention he wanted to swap the whole head but the one their interstate office sent one without OPOS Cam, so I think he just swapped the up/down encoder.
This enabled me to use the machine again but with some errors.
They are getting the correct head for replacement as far as I know.

ProColorGraphics

Mine doesn't have the OPOS-Cam, so that might be different, but does the screen show a different force when it starts to cut deeper? does it do it with every cut job?

when I've had issues like thus mine always ended up being that the cut lines got duplicated in the design, so it was cutting twice.

jerry369

They are getting the correct head for replacement as far as I know.
OK, surely the new head will resolve your problem.
If I can, I suggest you a new backup with Summa Cutter Control program after the head replacement, sometimes a system restore is more usefull than the factory reset command.

Split76

It was cutting perfectly until 10 minutes into the job when it went crazy hard. Maybe the blade was out a hair too much but explain how the blade length would cause the problem.
I've used vinyl cutters for many years so think i can set one up by now.
It's clearly a fault with the machine.
Summas are clearly not the ultra reliable bits of equipment some make out. They have faults like all the others.

Hahahahhaa, it's coil ****up. My s2 140T did exactly the same. 100-200 decals cutted perfectly and then it started to cut thru the whole vinyl. Whole cutting head was changed 2 times at the warranty period. First lasted about a year and second broke just before warranty ended.
I've had exactly the same problem 3 times for the last 15 years. For the older s120d we changed cutting head few times, one because of coil ****up and second time blade holder cracked
I still love summa cutters, bought s2 120t and F this year.
Maybe i've just had bad luck. Whole cutting head for S2 cutter costs something around 2200euros here, takes 20-30mins to change by yourself for non warranty machine :)

Bly

Maybe you just had the knife out too far lol.

Still waiting for a new head. In the meantime it's kind of usable.
It does this weird thing of stopping and jabbing the blade into the vinyl 8 or so times every couple of minutes though.
Hey I agree they are great cutters. When they are going.

The D160 had to have it's display replaced just out of warranty too btw.

I'm not sure I'd get one of the flatbed cutters.
The Summa software for their cutters can be kind of flaky if you ask me so I wouldn't risk the same kind of time wasting on a large investment like an F series.

Bly

Ok we got a new head fitted last week.
It seemed alright for a couple of days now we are getting the up/down encoder error when loading media, stops every 30 seconds and jabs the knife into the job 8 times, and now cutting too hard again.
It's starting to look like this thing is a dud and needs replacing... it has never worked properly since it was delivered months ago.

Sounds like you get great service from Summa in the US but out here it's the opposite.

Bly

Just to wrap this thread up - I received a call from Summa tech support in the US and they managed to resolve the issue by phone and the Teamviewer Quick Support app.
It seems the firmware version installed was causing problems so he installed an older version and it's now running like a champ.

Many thanks to Summa for coming through.
Took us months but finally got it sorted.

jerry369

It seems the firmware version installed was causing problems so he installed an older version and it's now running like a champ.

Hi Bly, i'm happy you solved your problem.

Can you tell us which firmware revision they installed and which was the previous installed?

You have a new S2 Class or an S Class?

Thanks

Bly

Hi Bly, i'm happy you solved your problem.

Can you tell us which firmware revision they installed and which was the previous installed?

You have a new S2 Class or an S Class?

Thanks

Installed now is 9981.016
Don't know which was the problematic one - it's been deleted.
PM me if you want me to email to you.

jerry369

Installed now is 9981.016
Don't know which was the problematic one - it's been deleted.
Ok, thank you for the information.
I have installed the latest revision 9981.018 on my oposcam. Your information'll be very usefull if I meet such a problem

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just to wrap this thread up - I received a call from Summa tech support in the US and they managed to resolve the issue by phone and the Teamviewer Quick Support app.

Took us months but finally got it sorted.

Nice, turns out it was user error - You were using the wrong support team.

wayne k
guam usa

Bly

Nice, turns out it was user error - You were using the wrong support team.

wayne k
guam usa

Maybe. They did replace a few parts so who knows what the initial problem was.
Anyway who doesn't like a happy ending??