Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Tab feature for routing PVC letters on Colex Sharpcut?

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by RDM, Aug 24, 2020.

1. RDM

RDM New Member

May 27, 2020
    Jacksonville, FL
    Good afternoon! The company I work for is relatively new to the large format field. We are a traditional offset and digital printer offering large format capabilities. A team of us have been brought in to grow our large format divisions offerings and we've inherited a Colex Sharpcut.

At my previous employer we had an MCT and I believe our production crew was able to cut PVC letters utilizing a 'tab' feature within the cut program. It would then cut the lettering out of the material leaving behind small tabs that would hold the letters in place so they wouldn't move. Our team would then break the letters out, cut/file/sand away any little nubs left from the tabs and bam, letters done.

Does the Colex Sharpcut have that same feature? And if so, where does one access it? It looks like we're using 'Colex Flatbed Contour Cutter' and 'OptiScout Production 7'.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Tags:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
  3. RDM

RDM New Member

May 27, 2020
    Jacksonville, FL
    We have noticed that the vacuum doesn't seem to be as strong as it should, and have a service call into Colex to address that issue.

Do you know if there is any such feature available within the software to add the tabs?

4. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We don't use a colex, but there are a ton of software designed for CNC with that feature. Heck there are scripts for illustrator and plugins for CorelDraw too.

5. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Go to the Colex Knowledge Center, I am pretty sure that they have a tutorial on how to set up files with tabs. I don't think it is a "one click" feature but I know it is possible because we do it here.

6. WYLDGFI

WYLDGFI Merchant Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Linden, NJ
    Its called Bridging in colex land. We do it all the time. There isn't a one click setup. You have to set 2 layers to do it & its pretty time intensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John Miller

John Miller Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Branford, Connecticut
  8. Print1

Print1 New Member

Sep 24, 2020
    New Jersey
    Bridging is actually a one button function on cut center. Going into the properties of the tools selected will allow you to simply select bridging and how deep you want them to be. Very simple.

9. Print1

Print1 New Member

Sep 24, 2020
    New Jersey
    Bridging is actually a one button function on cut center. Going into the properties of the tools selected will allow you to simply select bridging and how deep you want them to be. Very simple.

10. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    We used to double sided tape small stuff in our multicam. The we found out by accident premasking it makes it have a much higher hold down than with no premask.... So not for small stuff we just slap down some premask on the back and suction is usually good enough to hold it down, and it's much quicker to put on and easier to pull off. Might be worth a try.... Tabs are so slow to deal with when you include all the labor to break apart and sand compared to taping them..