Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Table top surface. What to use.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Shadowglen, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Shadowglen

Shadowglen Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Dickinson, ND
    OK I finished my table a couple weeks ago it is 12'x8' so three sheets of smooth plywood top. I laid down a 4'x8' grid marked cutting mat on one end. In the past I have used thrifty White 1/8" Masonite with white surface. only problem is with time it wears and scratches I may still use that on the other 2 sheets just wondering what are others using?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    you are already 33.3333% of the way there

3. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
    What about a white concrete paint and reapply every six months?

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I'm partial to the self-healing mats from Speed Press. They last forever and won't dull your knife tips.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We do everything on our works tables from writing, to cutting, weeding, leaning on our elbows, drinking, building signs to whatever needs to be done. We use a product called Duron. It a lot like Masonite, but tempered far harder. We use the 1/4" version and put it down with mostly finishing nails. Varnish 3 or 4 costs and we're done. Our present table tops have been on about 10 years in this shop and about 5 in our old shop. They were made in 1984 and we're now on our second set. They'll still go another 5 or 10 years. We don't cut near as much as we used to, now that we have digital and flatbed printers.

6. thewvsignguy

thewvsignguy Active Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Grantsville, MD
    We use White 1/8" acrylic over MDF. You can flip it when it gets to scratched from cutting, its fairly soft so it does not tear up blades to bad. We have had one piece on a table for 2 years now and have yet to flip so it lasts a pretty good while and it's fairly cheap. I also like the fact that it has a bit of static to help "hold" down vinyl sheets that don't move when it's being masked.

I've attached a picture of the smaller 18' X 4' table. In the next few weeks I'll be building a 5' X 20' table with more storage using the same materials.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    Where do you purchase this magical product?

8. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Definitely the cutting mats.
    Acrylic can work for a short while but will start to leave small slivers of material all over to spoil production, masking etc..

9. IGD

IGD Member

Nov 19, 2012
    +1