• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Table top surface. What to use.

Shadowglen

OK I finished my table a couple weeks ago it is 12'x8' so three sheets of smooth plywood top. I laid down a 4'x8' grid marked cutting mat on one end. In the past I have used thrifty White 1/8" Masonite with white surface. only problem is with time it wears and scratches I may still use that on the other 2 sheets just wondering what are others using?

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 99

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We do everything on our works tables from writing, to cutting, weeding, leaning on our elbows, drinking, building signs to whatever needs to be done. We use a product called Duron. It a lot like Masonite, but tempered far harder. We use the 1/4" version and put it down with mostly finishing nails. Varnish 3 or 4 costs and we're done. Our present table tops have been on about 10 years in this shop and about 5 in our old shop. They were made in 1984 and we're now on our second set. They'll still go another 5 or 10 years. We don't cut near as much as we used to, now that we have digital and flatbed printers.

thewvsignguy

We use White 1/8" acrylic over MDF. You can flip it when it gets to scratched from cutting, its fairly soft so it does not tear up blades to bad. We have had one piece on a table for 2 years now and have yet to flip so it lasts a pretty good while and it's fairly cheap. I also like the fact that it has a bit of static to help "hold" down vinyl sheets that don't move when it's being masked.

I've attached a picture of the smaller 18' X 4' table. In the next few weeks I'll be building a 5' X 20' table with more storage using the same materials.

Attachments

• District 6 Sang Run-20120719-00364.jpg
    District 6 Sang Run-20120719-00364.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

fresh

We do everything on our works tables from writing, to cutting, weeding, leaning on our elbows, drinking, building signs to whatever needs to be done. We use a product called Duron. It a lot like Masonite, but tempered far harder. We use the 1/4" version and put it down with mostly finishing nails. Varnish 3 or 4 costs and we're done. Our present table tops have been on about 10 years in this shop and about 5 in our old shop. They were made in 1984 and we're now on our second set. They'll still go another 5 or 10 years. We don't cut near as much as we used to, now that we have digital and flatbed printers.

Where do you purchase this magical product?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Definitely the cutting mats.
Acrylic can work for a short while but will start to leave small slivers of material all over to spoil production, masking etc..