• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tablet laptop question

quicksigns

I have a wacom tablet I use for cleaning image up in photoshop at work and sometimes take it with me to use on my laptop, but using tablet with my "lap" top is a little uncomfortable. Have anyone use a tablet computer and would'nt it be the same thing, without lugging a tablet around.

Artildawn

The most responsive tablet PC I've tried is the Modbook. As the name implies it's a modified macbook. Unfortunately it's probably the most expensive tablet PC around.

Doyle

http://www.motioncomputing.com/products/tablet_pc_le17.asp

That is the tablet pc that I use, and I highly recommend Motion Computing. They make the best tablet pc's and that is the only thing that they make, but they are expensive if you buy new. The tablet/screen is great and can be used as a graphics tablet, as well as for note taking. I use Microsoft OneNote for all of my note taking now and I love it. The handwriting recognition is excellent and all of my handwritten notes are fully searchable and organized.

I haven't used photoshop on the tablet yet, but have been using corel draw and it is certainly easier than using a mouse for drawing. The only thing that I don't like is not being able to use keyboard shortcuts without pulling up the on-screen keyboard. My tablet has bluetooth and can connect to a bluetooth or usb keyboard easily, but I actually just carry it around as a slate only.

Depending on what kind of processor/ram etc you are looking for, the Motion LE1600 goes on ebay used for about $300, the LE1700 goes for about $900 used, or $1300 new on ebay. The LE1600 and 1700 look almost identical, just a few differences, like the 1700 comes with windows vista and a intel core 2 duo processor...

Look around on ebay and craigslist if you are going to buy one. I found mine on craigslist and got a really good deal.

GK

I have a wacom tablet I use for cleaning image up in photoshop at work and sometimes take it with me to use on my laptop, but using tablet with my "lap" top is a little uncomfortable. Have anyone use a tablet computer and would'nt it be the same thing, without lugging a tablet around.

The main differences would be:

No pressure settings
Limited to the tablets pen (don't know if other tools are available)
Are different pen tips available?
Programmable Express Keys

The main thing is how responsive your tablet screen is to your motions. The biggest problem with most of them is the fact most were made without designers in mind. The ModBook is definitely one of the most responsive but compared to the Cintiq it feels archaic at best. Basic cleanups and such shouldn't be a huge hassle since it can be done with a mouse anyway. I guess it will come down to user preference so try before you buy.

i have an hp touchsmart and i love it. but i still find myself reverting to old habits in regards to graphics programs.

but i love being able to write notes in my own handwriting and having it converted to text versus having to interpret my own chicken scratches.

as mentioned the screen is not pressure sensitive.

and training the computer to recognize 'me' took some time.

i would also say that this model was not designed for 'designers' no matter what their advertising says, however the benefits are worth the cost for me and you find work arounds.

Doyle

The motion tablet that I use has hundreds of levels of pressure sensitivity, but yes you are limited to the tablet pen, but it is actually a really nice feeling pen.....

James Chrimes

art project

I bought one a little while back and love it. (wacom intuos3 6x9 ) I have been using it with corel products as well as adobe. I think it is well worth the extra money to buy a better tablet. I have been getting back into doing more fine art projects with it.

Attachments

• Clone of loose 101.jpg
    Clone of loose 101.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 99
  • time2 101.jpg
    time2 101.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 92

68dodgeramman

Thanks for the replies guys. But I've got another question. How would the Wacom Bamboo Fun measure up against the Intuos4? I need to know because I will be ordering one or the other tonight, lol.Thanks again.

James Chrimes

I would go with the Intuos. It is made to do more and if you are getting the 4 you will be able to set it up the way you want. It will be worth the extra money for sure.

Artildawn

Bamboo fun is for the casual consumer market. Intous is targeted toward artist/designers. I have an Intous I at home and a II at work (both 9 x 12), and I can't feel much difference. haven't had a chance to try a III or IV yet.

68dodgeramman

Well I decided to go with the Intuos4. I ordered it last night. I can hardly wait for it to get here. Thanks for the input everybody. And quicksigns, sorry about Hi-Jacking the thread. :thread

68dodgeramman

i bought my 9x12 intuos3 and a month later they released the intuos4 for the same price. =(

i love it though.

Lol! I thought that only happens to me.

I got the Intuos 4 the Friday and so far it seems pretty cool. But I have a question, how can I draw a picture in PhotoShop Elements and then use it in my vinyl cutter software? I tried to save as an .eps but it doesn't work. It saves it as PHOTOSHOP EPS. but when I try to open it with Lxi 8 I can't cut it out. Please bear with me as this is the first time I've used Photoshop.:doh:

GK

Lol! I thought that only happens to me.

I got the Intuos 4 the Friday and so far it seems pretty cool. But I have a question, how can I draw a picture in PhotoShop Elements and then use it in my vinyl cutter software? I tried to save as an .eps but it doesn't work. It saves it as PHOTOSHOP EPS. but when I try to open it with Lxi 8 I can't cut it out. Please bear with me as this is the first time I've used Photoshop.:doh:

Needs to be Vector not Raster...just because it was saved as .eps does not mean that it is still vector. You can export paths but you would be better off just designing in Illustrator or Corel.