• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tablets. Have One? Don't? What do you do on it?

TwoNine

So - I've been looking around at getting a tablet but am on the fence about it. One the one hand, they are cool. But what is the real purpose of having one? I could see using one when I'm on the couch at home or something, but how many of you use it in business and what for? Do you highly recommend getting a 3G one - is the cost justified? What happens if you were to use this to try and present proofs to customers or something along those lines - do you have to get their wireless password from them if their network is encrypted to get access to the internet? (If you don't have a 3G model) We have a big company internet provider and our password is like 20+ digits long - that would be a bit crazy to ask of someone at a sales meeting.

More than anything, I guess I am just asking. Are tablets as functional and as cool as they look like they are?

Thanks,
Chad

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
3G / 4G / LTE uses cellular networks and require a data plan for access. Pretty much all tablets have WiFi which can connect to wireless access points. I recently grabbed a Motorola Xoom (Verizon LTE) on eBay for $300. I have not however subscribed to a data plan with Verzion so I only have WiFi access to the internet. I like that if I want to subscribe to a plan with Verizon I can though...

That being said - it's somewhat of a novelty but it is very handy. I use it mostly sitting in the recliner at home. There are apps for business uses too such as document readers, remote computer access, etc. Even a somewhat limited version of Photoshop from Adobe. I like it - I can check my email, browse the web etc from the comfort of my recliner.

Circleville Signs

It is invaluable from a business standpoint. I give presentations with mine, and probably the best thing is that I can whip out a stylus when meeting with a client and sketch right on the screen - and not have to worry about losing the sketches.

WildWestDesigns

As far as presentations etc, I have used mine zilch in that regard, however, I was eating at a Mexican place that I've done embroidery work for and I saw a photographer giving a presentation on one to the owner/manager. So I can see the use in that regard.

My main use is for ease in communication (internet/email) and if I do have ideas for designs I can use iDraw and export them in an email to my main computer in the office and finish it up.

They do have potential, it really just depends on how your business functions as to how much it works for that.

jmb474

I have an ipad2 and I use it in business every day. I have a portfolio on it that I show clients of past work we have done. I'm able to write up a work order on it. I do site surveys on it. With photo measures I'm able to measure things and put the measurements right on the pic of what I'm measuring. I only have the wifi version because I can make my iPhone a hotspot and use the Internet off of that. I also use it to browse the Internet and for emails. Honestly, since getting my ipad2, I hardly ever use my laptop anymore unless I think I may need to use some design software.

CheapVehicleWrap

I'd have to say a tablet is THE first piece of technology I didn't embrace upon release. Still don't own one. I have many screens, big screens, small screens, touch screens and of course my true love... MyBionic.... and well My Cintiq.

I see all these people lugging these things around that I can just shoot something over to theirs in a flash.

Besides, I'd be afraid of dropping it in the toilet.

Mosh

I have a samsung 10" and do all my interneting on it, sit on the couch, get drunk and internet away. much easier than trying to sit up at a desk all night, duh! It has FLASH ipad people, so in your face!!!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Cheap,
with a little scotch tape you could save yourself a lot of money by making your own.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• then_and_now7.jpg
    then_and_now7.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 56

OldPaint

got the wife a KINDLE FIRE $199 for christmas present. she is an avid reader, so it works well for that. it has FULL INTERNET ACCESS can view my email, but dont really need to be 24/7 connected.

Gene@mpls

I have a samsung 10" and do all my interneting on it, sit on the couch, get drunk and internet away. much easier than trying to sit up at a desk all night, duh! It has FLASH ipad people, so in your face!!!

Mosh is correct- this is not limited to the evil empire products. Android is about to upgrade to 4.0 (IceCreamSandwich for tekkies) which should be
a whole 'nuther dimension. The GalaxyTab 10.1 is all I have been taking on
trips. Gene

kylebrk

iPad2 w/o 3g. Most places I meet have wireless and gladly give passwords. I do all the sales for my company so i am always brainstorming with clients or showing them concepts. I would hate to do my job without it now.

rjssigns

Asus Transformer. Haven't had it that long, but will integrate it for client demo's. Wife uses it for e-mail and social media. I use it to view Signs101!
It is nice though because we have the keyboard that it plugs into. Takes battery life to around 16 hours. Will use the GPS function when we travel down state.

signswi

I'll be buying one for my son in a couple months as I dig the learning software but I have limited to no personal need for one. Don't do many field presentations, big monitor on a swivel works better in the office.

SD&F

I bought an IPad for my daughter who went to college. She finds it invaluable and uses it everyday for just about everything. I am not as internet savy, but I see that it has many useful purposes. I'd buy one, if I had the time to use it.

Freese

Didn't read most of this, but I do have a tablet, and I use it alot for very particular reasons.

Model: ASUS Transformer

I fly alot for work, so I download movies/tv shows music to it and that's all I do on the plane. It's a lifesaver.

high impact

I have a Motorola Zoom and used it constantly. Email, speaking notes, proposals, design layouts, presentations, internet surfing, games, music, videos, etc... If you have a tab and are not using it for sales presentations and for your portfolio to show potential customers you are missing out. You can build a slide show or a powerpoint presentation and take it with you anywhere and have it ready to sell for you at a moments notice. I do a lot of public speaking and use it constantly. I have also loaded drop box on my computer, phone and tab, when i save a document into drop box it updates and is accessible from every device. How did we survive without this ability before? LOL

I use it so much I bought everyone of my kids one and there is no more fighting in the house over the computer anymore.

petesign

I got a Kindle fire and use it pretty often. It's a handy device when you don't want to break out your laptop, and don't want to read on your phone. I'm on T-mobile, and can use my phone as a wifi access point, so as long as I have both, I have anything I could need (for trips, etc). Battery life on the fire is really quite good - about 8 hours of continuous reading and web surfing. I use it to read mostly, but it surfs the web really well, and have even watched a few basketball games on it while lying in bed on espn3. If you get a fire, go ahead and try out the Amazon prime service. It costs about 80 a year after your free month but you can stream a lot of tv shows and movies, as well as borrow a book once a month. (if your local library does e-lending, you can borrow as many books as you want) The speaker volume is surprisingly good, and so is the prime streaming quality.

I wouldn't say these tablets are replacements for laptops, but they do what they do really well. I consider it more of a portable entertainment device that I could manage signvox with or do a presentation with if I really wanted to.

Joe Diaz

I've got the Ipad2. I'll be honest. I don't use it for work much. Mostly play. We don't do door to door sales at our shop. Our clients usually come to us, But I can imagine that if we did I would use it more for business. I've taken notes here or there at meetings on it. I also have a few portfolio pieces loaded up on it just in case (although I think the process for getting those images on there could be easier).

It's okay for browsing the net, but If my laptop or desktops are out and about I prefer to use them.

For the most part I play games on it or use it to watch movies on a flight. Even though I don't think it's the end all be all for doing business, it sure kicks a$$ when you travel. It has long battery life and is light and compact.

I won my ipad. And I do enjoy it, but it wasn't a device I was dying to go out and buy. I still don't think I would buy one. I'm still waiting for the ultimate tablet built specifically for artists with all the features my cintiq has.