• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tablets?

laserman70

Anyone using a tablet for presentation to clients.
We have been tossing the idea around.
What type is everyone using?
(not paper tablet) lol

Kevin-shopVOX

I have an ipad2 and love it for not only presentations but for running SignVOX, doing site surveys and much much more. It is lightweight, responsive and the battery life is outstanding. The size is a bit large as sometimes I wish I could put it in my pocket but with a protective case it is no more than carrring a notebook around. Sne design is done such as quick sketch layouts but it is not replacing my laptop for that. However it has replaced a lot of stuff and synced a lot of how I run my business on the go. My favorite thing...estimating on site, closing a deal, swiping a credit card and getting the order into production all while away from the shop. The tablet is a must have if you are always on the go.

Blaney

I take my iPad with me every time I leave the shop. Works great for presentations, notes and keeping my mileage log.

WildWestDesigns

I don't use my iPad for this type of application, but it would be the thing that I would suggest for it. All around fits that application.

bigben

:thread

I'm looking for the same thing. But I would like to be able to open photoshop and illustrator files. Not to work with them, but just to look. For example a customer give you his logo in .ai format and when you are in the shop you find up he did not give you the right file.

I'm a blackberry fan/user, so I wish the playbook could do this. The Asus EEE slate would be a good choice, but it's a bit too big and pricey to carry it all day long.

signswi

bigben: Adobe just released (or is releasing soon) most of their suite in stripped down tablet versions.

I don't really have a use for tablets but if I did presentations or dealt with customers directly I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Joe Diaz

Is anyone using a tablet with remote desktop control software?

Yeah I do. It's called splashtop. It works alright. It's not perfect. It's not realistic for lets say working on corel or adobe, but it works well for basic browsing and accessing files and at least that way I can view sites with flash.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yeah I do. It's called splashtop. It works alright. It's not perfect. It's not realistic for lets say working on corel or adobe, but it works well for basic browsing and accessing files and at least that way I can view sites with flash.

My primary interest would be to be able to monitor and moderate Signs 101 as well as be able to read and respond to emails that come into my desktop workstation. I might, from time to time also do some work in Adobe CS ... but that's not a priority.

I don't at this time have either a tablet or even a wireless setup beyond just my cell phone. It would appear that Go to MyPC has a good solution for $9.95 a month and I'm leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Thoughts?

qmr55

My primary interest would be to be able to monitor and moderate Signs 101 as well as be able to read and respond to emails that come into my desktop workstation. I might, from time to time also do some work in Adobe CS ... but that's not a priority.

I don't at this time have either a tablet or even a wireless setup beyond just my cell phone. It would appear that Go to MyPC has a good solution for $9.95 a month and I'm leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Thoughts?

Depends what tablet you are using but most have ability to download Team Viewer which will give you access to any workstation that it is downloaded on. You can transfer files, share screens and more! Go to there site download it on your computer and go on your android device/iphone/ipad and download the app.

WildWestDesigns

Depends what tablet you are using but most have ability to download Team Viewer which will give you access to any workstation that it is downloaded on. You can transfer files, share screens and more! Go to there site download it on your computer and go on your android device/iphone/ipad and download the app.

Team Viewer is what we use when we have to remote into a desktop. Pretty good also for some trouble shooting when away as well.

bigben

bigben: Adobe just released (or is releasing soon) most of their suite in stripped down tablet versions.

I don't really have a use for tablets but if I did presentations or dealt with customers directly I'd get one in a heartbeat.

wow! just went on the adobe web site to see this. It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Now I just have to wait to come out and run android on a playbook and voilà!

Thanks to let me know this.

sar bossier

Fred - I am researching the Samsung Galaxy as well, but as of now, am still undecided. I want the ability to access flash when needed, without apps, and POS system, design, and my desktop when needed. Any Galaxy users out there? Thank you!

Kevin-shopVOX

+1 best free one to get. I've used the logmein one as well but wasn't anything better than team viewer and it is 30 bucks

sportycliff

Thoughts?

Not sure about tablets, but LogMeIn free works with the IPhone and there's no monthly fee. If you need more functionality you have to pay...

David Wright

Like Joe, I use Splashtop. Not much though, accessing my Quickbooks and files.
No way would I try editing or Corel work.