• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tailgate trim

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
So what are all you wrappers doing with tailgates that have fancy plastic badging on it like the Ford platinum, RAMs with the giant tailgate lettering. Are you wrapping over this? If its paint matched its not really an issue, but some of the ford offerings are a plastic contrast to the body paint like brushed chrome plastic and Ive been told not to wrap this. I'm not a wrap shop, not yet, but a tailgate represents a great place for information and contour graphics. I've only run into a handful of clients so far and I told them I just didn't think I could do it and give them a reliable outcome.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We wrapped a tailgate recently on a Platinum. Gloss black and then cut out the platinum lettering. It took A LOT of time and a steady hand.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
OK thank
We wrapped a tailgate recently on a Platinum. Gloss black and then cut out the platinum lettering. It took A LOT of time and a steady hand.

OK, thank you, that's what I was afraid of. I'm not currently doing wraps but large printed contour graphics and lettering. I wanted to do a partial wrap on my pickup for advertisement purposes and the tailgate is not smooth and has all kinds of lines in it.... No badging though which is nice.
I may have to just fit my name and website on there and call it good. That stinks. But as far as working with those in the future it makes me nervous to get into wraps to encounter things like that where I'll be scratching my head.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
OK thank

OK, thank you, that's what I was afraid of. I'm not currently doing wraps but large printed contour graphics and lettering. I wanted to do a partial wrap on my pickup for advertisement purposes and the tailgate is not smooth and has all kinds of lines in it.... No badging though which is nice.
I may have to just fit my name and website on there and call it good. That stinks. But as far as working with those in the future it makes me nervous to get into wraps to encounter things like that where I'll be scratching my head.
Two options you COULD do. You could do window perf on your back window. OR you can just add lettering on your tailgate. Lettering on the sides as well. Very cost effective. Also, We have all of our vehicles wrapped. (We have two separate businesses. Vinyl signs and auto wraps). We put our instagram and facebook id on our vehicles for people to easily identify. One of our clients did a partial wrap on his truck and we added a QR code that linked to his website.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
Two options you COULD do. You could do window perf on your back window. OR you can just add lettering on your tailgate. Lettering on the sides as well. Very cost effective. Also, We have all of our vehicles wrapped. (We have two separate businesses. Vinyl signs and auto wraps). We put our instagram and facebook id on our vehicles for people to easily identify. One of our clients did a partial wrap on his truck and we added a QR code that linked to his website.

I haven't gotten around to making a Facebook or insta yet but I think I need to soon. My thing is should I do a phone number, website, or social media? Which one is most memorable and easy to see? I like the window perf idea. I want to get some practice with that too.

Last edited:

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
If the customer wants a wrap on the tailgate we take all the badges off.

Same thing I would do. I just wasn't sure if that's something that was being done in the industry. But like I said my first reaction was to pull that stuff off. Hopefully the tailgate is smooth undernieth.

unclebun

Same thing I would do. I just wasn't sure if that's something that was being done in the industry. But like I said my first reaction was to pull that stuff off. Hopefully the tailgate is smooth undernieth.
It's not smooth under the big Ford ovals. There's an oval indentation usually. Chevy bowties are usually just on the flat. Dodges it varies.

ApexVinyl

Premium Subscriber
It's not smooth under the big Ford ovals. There's an oval indentation usually. Chevy bowties are usually just on the flat. Dodges it varies.

I suppose as long as it conforms to the shape of the indent nobody would probably notice much when standing 5 feet or farther back. Especially if the design is busy enough.