• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tailgate Wrap

Tagdog

Alright before anyone gives me too hard a time, I'll let you know I am going to go to Fellers Wrap school this summer. But for now... here is my problem.
I am trying to cover my tailgate with a single piece of vinyl. The surface is clean and I started at the top. I put down about two inches at top and pulled the vinyl backing off about half way. We tried working the vinyl down with our felt squeegees but got nothing but wrinkles and air bubbles. This is harder than I thought. I used Fellers "Solvex Wrap" The salesman said it was good for this? It does not have those air egrees chanels. How big a differnce does the premium wrap vinyl make? Any suggestions?
Also I removed the Toyota Tundra Badging and I damaged my paint with a combination orange cleaner wd 40 green pad. What do you suggest.
Signs Up

jhines1284

I havent personally used the Solvex but you could try to center hinge the material horizonally, then peel off a section of the backing and work your way outwards. Are you laminating the print? That would make a difference in ease of install.

Tagdog

Laminate?

I was not going to laminate. But since the first piece of vinyl is in the trash can I might laminate the one printing. Does laminating help much? Have you used the premium vinyl?
Signs Up

Letterbox Mike

Solvex CarWrap is actually very good vinyl, but it doesn't have air egress channels and I've found it's adhesive is a bit too agressive for some wrapping. The lack of laminate is not helping things either. If you're not used to working with things like this you should definately work with a true wrap vinyl like 180C with a laminate, buy it wholesale from someone here if you don't want to drop a thousand bucks on the two rolls for just a tailgate wrap. You'll find it much more forgiving and the learning curve, while still steep, will be significantly less so than the CarWrap.

Charlie J

signs up...i bought solvex carwrap and did my tailgate with it....decent stuff...had some problems and then i went to a wrap class...they used 3m and avery at the class...BIG DIFFERENCE...when I got back I bought some avery with egress channels...works way nicer...i'm now changin all my vinyl over to egress...200 times easier to put on and you dont waste as much.

Tagdog

2nd print in the trash

Okay I'll by some different vinyl.
But what size and kind of squeegee do you suggest? I'll order some tomorrow.
Waht are the torches for? I guess I'll find out in wrap school this summer but I'm curious.
Signs Up

MADWRAPPER

Pre mask it and work from the center out. I was taught like it is a bomb and it always blows up from the center out. The torch is for heating the vinyl up to make it conform to the substrate. It takes a little practice but it saves you alot of time and you will learn how to use heat to get wrinkles out and to wrap over very difficult areas.

oc63rag

Pick up some scraps of good vinyl/lam from one of the folks here and practice with it. I was able to get some big 3M pieces (with air egress) for the cost of shipping and it was a huge help.
You will definitely need a torch or heat gun (maybe both) for any kind of curve. You won't believe what the vinyl will do once it's heated.