• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Take up reel

ucmj22

Does anyone else hate the ever-loving crap out of their take up reel?!! I have to jimmy rig it with a cinder block to keep it perpendicular so the floor to the media doesn't walk and create ripples that rub the head!

Attachments

• jimmy rig.jpg
    jimmy rig.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 60

ucmj22

What model do you have? I agree that the Roland (XC-540 here) take up reels aren't engineered very well....(although I don't have any other brand to compare to).

I can rarely print more than an half roll before it starts walking/head striking.

XC-540 here as well. I am developing (in my head) a device using c-clamps and a couple pieces of 1X2 that might take care of the issue.

ucmj22

Same here. If you cram a crappy squeegee in between the the rubber on the bracket, and the post that works pretty well, hence the orange squeegee in the photo. I just want to make something that will be a little more accurate than a squeegee. I'll let you know when I make my prototype stabilizing system.

Salmoneye

The black metal bracket or the black metal frame? My xc-540 tightens down quite firmly; You could always make a Teflon or similar guide bushing for the inside of the bracket. Is your printer perfectly level so that there is no twist being imposed on the machine? Also I believe that the stand itself can be attached ever so slightly off ass some of the tolerances on the mounting holes can be less than precise. It can also be difficult to get the media on 100% perfectly, 1/64th of an inch is an inch off after 64 times around.

petepaz

we have the xc540 also and the take up reel cam with it but for the small amount of time i do use it no problems here

Salmoneye

without putting my hands on it, it is hard to tell if all of the flex is in the bracket or if some is in the bent tubing that it sits on. A stiffer tube could be bent up for sure. On the bracket I was wondering if yours has been streched out from being overtightened, if it has a c clamp or two with a heavy piece of flat steel might bend it back tight and flat while still on the unit. It looks like if you take the bracket you could install a fabricated guide piece out of lexan or wood or ??? along the inside of the front side of the bracket (side the hand screw is on), this would eliminate almost all possible play over a large surface area instead of only the point that the screw tightens down. The inside of the front of that bracket does not feel like it is flat though so you might have to rout part of it down or do a little work on the table saw.

Salmoneye

Also if the play is in the rail you could bend up a z bracket to go over the top of the end of that rail back to the upright stand metal and attach it with some self threading screws.

signage

If the movement is the chrome bracket flexing would be to get some angle and attach it to this piece to eliminate the bending.flexing.

ucmj22

this one shows how the bracket is moving while it is tightened all the way down. I might agree with you that it could be from tightening it too much,because I tighten the crap out of it to try and limit its movement, but I have been having this problem since day 1. maybe the tube its mounted on isnt straight... i dont know, I just know it sux.

signage

Drill a hole in the top and get a nut welded to add another screw/bolt with knob to tighten!

ucmj22

Drill a hole in the top and get a nut welded to add another screw/bolt with knob to tighten!

....or maybe from the back... the whole thing just doesnt make sense to me because the tension that moves it comes from the bottom. while the mode to tighten it is at the top... its a simple matter of leverage that i dont think can be won.

Bly

We have 2 x XJs and their takeup reel looks the same.
I think they are fantastic - we can print whole rolls without a hiccup.. so they mustn't be the same if you guys are having so much grief.

Custom_Grafx

I also haven't had any major problems with my TU2...

The most I've done in one hit is only around 15 metres though...

Bly

You know the holes in the bracket where it attaches to the aluminium bar are slotted for adjustment.

ucmj22

!update!

A roland tech called at the end of last week after reading this post, and suggested we replace the thumb screw. They fedexed it, and I just got it. I attached a picture of the old next to the new. It does feel more stable, and I will be running a long run this afternoon, so I will let you know if it fixes the problem. For anyone else experiencing this problem I would recommend checking the status of your thumbscrew and calling roland tech for a replacement if necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0523sm copy.jpg
    IMG_0523sm copy.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 59

ucmj22

The take up reel is performing better with the new thumbscrew. Still not perfect, but I think my stabilizing bar might be tweaked a little. Now my only worry is that I will have to replace this thumbscrew every 6 months. IMO the nylon nib is under quite a bit of stress being screwed in and out constantly. I know that a company by the name of Miner Elastomer makes some pretty incredible rubber/plastic products, some that are even used as buffers in High caliber military weapons, that could work well in this application. it looks like roland needs a new supplier.