• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taking my show on the road....sweet!

mrchips

Last fall I was approached to demo at a lumber and building materials trade show at foxwoods. I asked what they wanted me to carve. They said a totem pole. I said, how about a SIGN with a totem pole.....BINGO!!!

It's western red cedar, 4' tall, 62" wide. Finished with deck preservitive and solid acrylic stains with a little gold leaf.

The main sign was CNC carved and the rest will be done by hand.

The pics: The sketch, the parts, and the main sign complete.

Now I'm off to MGM Grand for 4 (all expences paid) days to work on the totem......by hand.

Gotta love it!!!!

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 146

Marlene

totally cool! do you have pics with the totem? would love to see it. I love the beveling of the lettering. very nice

GypsyGraphics

Joe that's just beautiful!!!!!
4 days??? can you really hand carve that center pole in four days????

can't wait to see the finished pics!

iSign

great looking work, as always!!
do you have your own CNC?
I'm also curious if you have a sketch of the side profile, that led up to your cut file design..

I guess I'm really just curious how much "plan" you have going into this live demo, and how much is just faith, or professional confidence...

...I mean there's no doubt it will be awesome, but do you have to wing it a little, or do you know exactly what you wish to happen dimensionally, before you start?

mrchips

Thanks everyone!

Doug.......me, wing it???? YUP!

Really, the actual totem will only look vaguely like this. But I do know how it will turn out.

I don't own a cnc......there is a real sign shop in town that does and they did what they had to with the design. That pile of parts was made by them following what little instruction I could give them. It's just what I needed.

I do have a ton of refrence material and it's a subject I've been interested in since I was a kid so I'm very confident that this is going to turn out just fine. Here's a [pic of a litttle totem i made not to long ago as a teenager. :ROFLMAO:

Joe,

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 161

shakey0818

Looks great.Let me know what trade show it is maybe ill go .i was just at the Harvey 50th ann trade show at Patriots stadium.

mrchips

Shakey0818.....It's the LBM Expo.

It's for building materal retailers.................

Joe,

iSign

Talk about having fun, making chips... when I grow up, I wanna be a "not real" sign shop too!!

mrchips

Doug......I just carve......I'm really NOT a REAL sign shop.

Carved banners anyone???????????????

Yes Sir, would you like just your doors carved.....how about the tailgate????

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Joe,

mrchips

Thanks everybody!!!

Gypsy,

"Can you carve it in 4 days?"......

Well, It's 4 feet tall..............1 ft a day? Easy!

Actually, I'll only have 3 days to work.......7 hrs each day total.

I have to get there by 11am tomorrow to get past the loading dock.

Then I'll have the rest of the day to kill.......hmmmmmmmmmmm, what shall I do?

Do you think my bar bill is covered by the company expense account? :smile:

I'll take a bunch of photos at the show........wait till you see the booth they built......20'x20' space. One of only two in THE lobby.

This is gonna be a good time........

Note to self: Don't forget your business cards! I'll be the only sign shop in the place (but we know I'm NOT a REAL sign shop) :ROFLMAO:

Joe,

mrchips

Here it is finished up....

BTW, EVERYTHING was paid for....in room bar, spa, restaurants.....everything!

Joe,