• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Taking the Leap

Guerilla Signs

As of last Friday at 5 pm I became officially self employed. I have been working toward this for the last 4 years and finally came to the point that I could not do any more in the evenings or weekends.

I am anxiously looking forward to what will come over the next few months.

Already been told that I am cheep by one customer and to way to high by another customer in the last two days.

It is going to be a wild ride.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Already been told that I am cheep by one customer and to way to high by another customer in the last two days.

It is going to be a wild ride.[/QUOTE]

:Welcome: to my world!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations.........................

Don't worry about what the customers say. Only worry if they don't come back.

I have no idea of what direction you in your business mode want to follow for your shop, but try to cultivate repeat type customers. People that need stuff over and over and over again. Except for race car people. They'll drain you instantly.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
If you haven't already, make sure you nail down a solid business plan. It's a tough row to hoe without one.

JB

Mosh

It does not matter how much you charge, there is ALWAYS going to be someone that will tell you you charge too much...there is a name for those customers....

threeputt

I don't pretend to know you, so don't take this wrong.

But my advice is to:
1) Set your business hours and stick to them.
2) Set sound business policies that deal with situations you'll encounter, and stick to them.
3) Develop some sort of formulas that will allow you to be very consistent in pricing your work.

Best of luck. Work hard (and smart) and prosper!

JgS

Good luck! Don't overlook business insurance. And if you are not good with money, a CPA.

Si Allen

In addition to Threeputt's advice ...

Nothing happens until you get 50% down (100% down on all small orders)

Rush or overtime orders have an added surcharge

Customers DO NOT set the rules!!!

Refer the cheap a$$ed customers to the competition

Pain in the a$$ customers are fired immediately!

SignManiac

I did exactly the same thing you did, only it was thirty eight years ago. I still wonder if I made the right decision.

MakeMyGraphic

Good luck! :) and I learned so far that those people who care about the cost of things often don't care about quality OR the fact that there is even human labor involved... you don't really want to deal with those people. Just my 2 cents :)

Guerilla Signs

Thanks for all the advice. Will be continuing to learn from the veterans on this site. Have learned a lot since finding Signs101 and plan on being around for a long time.