• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tale of Newbie Roland Woe

Juanbsi

After having screen printed for a number of years, I decided to branch out with a wide format digital printer. Found a refurbed Roland SP300V on one of the printer websites and ordered it to the tune of around 8 G’s delivered (remember, this was a few years back.) Problem, shipping it cross country. The seller called the shipping company and they told him to palletize it (for an extra charge)and shrink wrap the heck out of it. So he takes the legs off, bags up all the parts and extra heads and bundles everything together. I had it shipped to a local university where they had a loading dock and it arrives, they sign for it and call me. When I get there, the printer is lying loose, legs loose separately and a couple of leaking print heads setting on the side. I take it home, let it sit for a while and then try to put it together and realize I’m missing a bunch of stuff.
I get in a fight with the insurance company and finally after two years, give up…they’ve screwed me.
The problem now is…. How the heck do I get it fixed? Denco, my local supplier, got nothing out of Roland and there is nobody in Idaho to fix the sucker. An HP printer tech sat on it for a year and Roland wouldn't give him the time of day.
Any ideas? I’m willing to crate it up properly this time and send it to somebody… anybody who can fix it. Give me some leads… obviously Roland isn’t interested since I didn’t buy it new.
Thanks for any leads on an interested tech
….. or do I have a really expensive boat anchor? Wanna buy an anchor?

iSign

well, it sucks losing $8 G's... but why lose years of your productive life too?

you get what you pay for... usually.. although I'm sure some people got more for 8 G's then you did...

I forked out 5 times that much back in 2005 & for $40 G's, I got a NEW Mimaki 60" printer, 60" cutter, and 60" laminator.. plus an air duster...

Sure, that''s a big chunk, but the next year reached new heights of profitability & by 2007, I put $100K in my pocket..

all in all, the printer (which still runs like a champ... every day hahaha... heard me typing about it & it just did it's head clean cycle) has paid for itself many many times over...

so, do yourself a favor and do not remain hostage to a bad decision you made.. do not cling to the belief it was not as bad as it was & you just need to piece together the right solution... maybe the insurance company screwed yo, or maybe you bit off more then you could chew & tried to manage interstate shipments between civilians, non business entities, not experienced in fragile equipment shipments & not crated properly, or insured properly...

get over it... move on... consider an equipment lease & learn from your mistakes... not everyone is cut out to reap the savings of buying used... I've reaped the time savings of buying new!!

SignosaurusRex

I can't say that I don't feel bad for you. It's a shame to throw out a big chunk of change only to be kicked in the teeth for a lack of insight. Now the real question is....."Do you really want to throw good money after bad"? While you just might (with a shit-pot of luck) find some good help in fixing the broken anchor, I think you are best off in starting over and going for new. If Denco is your nearest supplier, purchase new from them and be loyal. They have always treated me very well and been excellent when it comes to service.

visual800

all you need is an attorney. if there was insurance taken out on this thru the shipping company file it and get an attorney. BUT if this has been going on for 2 years put that brokeass POS on ebay for parts.

thats what the insurance company does, they fight until you break or make them break. This sould have been headed off right after this incident happened

If you plan on getting a lawyer involved, DON'T SELL THE PRINTER! You may need to give it back if (when) you win the case. Also, if the machine was not decommissioned properly and has been sitting for 2+ years. It's now a expensive paperweight.

moonrakercat

Forget the lawyer - you will loose more than 8k with him alone - forget the insurance company. Any compensation you will get might come from the supplier (but maybe not after this long -and I wouldn't deal with them again) - probably didn't package things up right in the first place - and insurance usually wont cover anything not completely crated.

Take the business writeoff - it will save you some taxes. Sell the machine parts on ebay - will save you more. Move on and buy from a reputable local dealer. Good luck.

cdiesel

If you decide to fix it, Peter above can help. You mention Idaho, but your profile says you're in Gilbert. He's local here in Phoenix.

jdoug5170

You say you are in Idaho....not sure which part, but I can't say enough about Pacifc Coast in Portland, OR. They sold us our Roland and have been absolutely on the spot for any help we have needed.

Might be worth the drive to bring your parts to them, or ship it.

Doug

W

wetgravy

Like others have said, tax write off and part out for some money back. After 2 years, there may now be more wrong with the printer than missing some parts.