Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tall Fonts..

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Dentafrice, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Probably a stupid question, but I guess people have different takes on it, I reckon' you could just get a "TALL" font... but..

What do you guys do in a situation where a customer wants a string of text say... 24" long... but wants it in like 2-3" tall letters...

Yet they want it in an Arial Black style font... yet when you go to cut, it's 24" long.. but yet 1" tall scaled...

How would you tackle this without grabbing it and distorting the font all to heck?

Any ideas..

- Mingle

Tags:
  2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    use a condensed font.

remind them that tall thin letters look like a bar code from just a little distance and defeats the purpose

3. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    In ascending order of tallness: Impact, Compacta, or LHF Tallington.

4. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    :signs101:

Attached Files:

5. Dentafrice

Dentafrice Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Appreciate that! I'll check out those fonts.

6. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    Not a big fan of stretching text, you can stretch text slightly and get away with it, but overstretching looks rediculous, and on top of that, harder to read. You can play with tracking. I would maybe lay it out on 2 lines as opposed to just one, but it all depends on what it will read.

7. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    SignDNA Big Red is one of the few that work when distorted....with minor tweaking of some strokes.

Attached Files: